The Doctoral Program in Mining and Geo-resources engineering focuses on a multidisciplinary, advanced and comprehensive approach to scientific or technological issues involved in the life cycle of a mineral resource. Research will preferentially concern the fundamental understanding of the basic processes that support the sciences and technologies involved in the application of engineering principles to the Earth Sciences.
The students will develop their thesis research from the first year onwards, under the orientation of a supervisor. According to their previous curriculum students may be obliged to attend specialized courses, either in normal or tutorial regime on advanced topics of interest to their research topic.
The research focuses on topics related to the life cycle of mineral resources: the availability of minerals; prospection and recognition; mining project; study of potential environmental impacts; exploitation of mineral deposits; ore processing; the disposal, treatment and recycling of mineral wastes; decommissioning, closure and abandonment; geo-environmental technologies and still on any supporting science or technology such as geostatistics, rock mechanics, geophysics, etc.
Research should include innovative aspects (or themes, or methodologies or conclusions) that represent a contribution to the development of the scientific or technological knowledge within the domain in which it is inserted.
Who can apply
- Holders of a Master's degree or legal equivalent in the area of Earth sciences and technologies, such as Mining Engineering, Geological Eng., Geotechnical Eng., Applied Geology or related areas;
- Holders of a Bachelor's degree with a relevant academic or scientific curriculum in this scientific area recognized by the Scientific Committee as attesting to their ability to attend this cycle of studies;
- Those with an academic, scientific or professional curriculum in this scientific area recognized by the Scientific Committee as attesting to their ability to attend this cycle of studies.
- In Phase 1, only applicants with application grades higher than 14 (out of 20) will be ranked. They must also provide documentary evidence proving they have the qualifications necessary to apply. Alternate candidates and applicants who do not meet Phase 1 requirements will be automatically transferred to Phase 2.
- Candidates who have completed or are expected to complete the programme before the applications deadline, will be accepted in subsequent phases. If they cannot obtain the Graduation Certificate, a Declaration of Honour stating they have completed the necessary qualifications required must be produced. The registration will only be considered valid upon presentation of the Graduation Certificate.
Tuition Fees: 3000¤
The overall objectives of the doctoral program in mining engineering and Geo-resources are the following:
-the systematic and in-depth understanding in a particular area of Mining engineering and Geo-resources, particularly in large areas of Geo-sciences, Geo-engineering, the Geo-resources and Geo-environment;
-the development of skills to conceive, design, adapt and perform original research of high quality and worthy of dissemination in publications with peer review system;
-the development of skills to analyse, synthesize and interpret complex scientific information;
-the development of entrepreneurship and innovation capabilities.
Fields of Specialization
•Mining Engineering, Georesources and Environment
Feup's main mission is to "trains at interncaional level engineering professionals, supported by a multidisciplinary and excellent research and services, covering the technical, cientific , social and cultural".
The realization of the doctoral program in mining engineering and Geo-Resources will enable students to acquire the knowledge, skills and/or competences following:
-Ability to perform the following functions: a) teaching in higher education, b) and realization of driving scientific research; c) industrial and/or administrative activities of coordination, supervision and innovation;
-Ability to integrate interdisciplinary teams for research, innovation and development;
-Acquire practical use of rigorous research methodologies and best suited to the nature of the same;
-Leadership skills using socially responsible cultural and ethical standards.
Highly qualified technician for medium and large size companies and State agencies; Research and innovation