|Miguel Ventura Terra
Architect, urbanist and politician
Miguel Ventura Terra was born in Seixas do Minho, Caminha, on 14 July 1866.
He attended the Architecture course at the Porto Academy of Fine Arts between 1881 and 1886.
In 1886, as a State bursary student in the category of Civil Architecture, he travelled to Paris. Here, he studied at the École Nationale et Speciale des Beaux-Arts, where he obtained the diploma of 1st class Architect from the French government. He also studied at the Victor Laloux workshop.
In 1894, he came second in the competition for the Monument to Prince Henry, in Porto.
He returned to Portugal in 1896, where he became 3rd class Architect in the Directorate for Public Buildings and Lighthouses, and won the competition for the reconversion of the Edifício das Cortes (The Courts Building) at the Chamber of Deputies and Parliament, in Lisbon.
He designed small palaces, qualified investment property, mainly in the capital, planned eclectic, cosmopolitan and practical constructions, in addition to important urban equipment, such as the first Lisbon kindergarten (1901), the building of the Associação de Protecção à Primeira Infância (Child Protection Association), the Dr. Alfredo da Costa Maternity Hospital (1908) and the following high schools: Camões (1907), Pedro Nunes (1909) and Maria Amália Vaz de Carvalho (1913).
Miguel Ventura Terra also designed the two Portuguese pavilions for the 1900 Exhibition in Paris, and the pedestal for the monument to Marechal Saldanha, together with sculptor Tomás Costa (1900), in Lisbon, Santa Luzia Church, in Viana do Castelo (1903), Lisbon Sinagogue (Shaaré Tikvá or Doors of Hope), inaugurated in 1904 in Alexandre Herculano Street, the building of Banco Totta & Açores, in Ouro Street (1906), Lisbon, which was the first modern intervention in the Pombalina downtown area of the capital; the Politeama Theatre (1912-1913), representative of the Iron Art, also in Lisbon, and the Vidago Palace Hotel, concluded after his death.
He received the Valmor Architecture Award for four times (1903, 1906, 1909 and 1911) and an Honourable Mention in the same competition (1913).
All his works denote his love for a not so exaggerated monumentality, for asymmetrical façades and the use of innovative materials.
Ventura Terra was also involved in urbanism. He designed projects for the Eduardo VII Park, in Lisbon, had plans for the waterfront area of Lisbon (1908) and an urban plan for Funchal (1915).
He was part of the group responsible for creating the Society of Portuguese Architects, active since 1903, of which he was its first President. He was a member of the Council for National Monuments and was a municipal councillor of the Lisbon City Hall until 1913.
A Republican and Mason, he died in Lisbon on 30 April 1919.
(Universidade Digital / Gestão de Informação, 2009)