Health and Society
||Social and comportamental sciences
Instance: 2016/2017 - 2S
Cycles of Study/Courses
Teaching Staff - Responsibilities
Teaching - Hours
|Theoretical and practical :
To analyse the cultural, social, economic and political dimensions in health and medicine.
Learning outcomes and competences
1. To understand the impact of theoretical, political, economic and sociocultual changes on the classification of illness, health and healthcare.
2. To assess the social determinants of health.
3. To discuss the societal, economic and ethical repercussions of the public policies on health.
4. To analyse the reproduction and emergence of inequalities in terms of power, property and citizens' interactions with health professionals.
1. Social determinants and representations of health
2. Inequities and solidarity in public health
3. (Bio)medicalization and promotion of health
4. Bodies, sexualities and embodiment
5. Knowledge and relationships between patients and health professionals
6. Health policies and citizenship: actors, resources and principles
7. Motivation in health organizations.
• lALBRECHT, G.L., FITZPATRICK, R., SCRIMSHAW, S. (eds.) ; The handbook of social studies in health and medicine, London, Sage, 1999
CONRAD, P. ; The medicalization of society: On the transformation of human conditions into treatable disorders, Baltimore, The John Hopkins University Press, 2007
NETTLETON, S. ; The Sociology of Health & Illness, Cambridge, Polity Press, 1996
Teaching methods and learning activities
Total time (hours): 108
Contact hours: 36 (12 theoretical sessions of 2h/each; 12 practical sessions of 1h/each)
Distributed evaluation without final exam
Amount of time allocated to each course unit
|Frequência das aulas
|Trabalho de investigação
Eligibility for exams
Attendance of at least 80% of all classes.
Calculation formula of final grade
Individual written report (80%) and its oral presentation (20%).