The Study Cycle is according to the applicable legislation, namely, the 7th article of the Decree-Law n.º 79/2014 no what concerns the components of formation; the 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th articles on the formation in general educational area, specific didactics, initiation to the professional practice and training in the cultural, social and ethical areas; and the 15th and 16th articles on the curricular structures and the article 17th and 18th-cap. V.
As a professionalizing Master on History Teaching it aims to prepare future teachers for lecturing the subject of History in the 3rd cycle of basic and secondary teaching. In secondary teaching, due to the possibility of teaching History A, History B, History of Culture and Arts, we structured a curriculum that was complementary on the contents and competences obtained in licentiate degree. It is visible the registration of specifically economic related classes, considering History B in Economy and Management courses, but also History of Culture and arts for the specific field of secondary teaching.
These are the particularities that aim to distinguish our educational project, inscribing also in Didactics the conditions for the students to prepare specific resources for these fields.
- To deeply understand the historical knowledge needed for a competent teaching of the program contents of the Basic and Secondary School.
- To know specifically the contents of History of Culture and Arts and be able to adequate the teaching to the specific audience who attends these courses.
- To recognise the specificity of the treatment of History B in the courses of Economy and Management.
- To be able to use didactical techniques which allow a diversification of the teaching practices.
- To understand the role of History in the Educative Project of any School, aiming to an effective insertion in the educative community in the multifaceted heritage of the space to which belongs to.
- To broaden professional horizons where the historical content is essential but where, through entrepreneurship, to make possible to pursue other career than teaching.
- History Teachers for 3rd cycle basic education and secondary education (Group 400).
- Teacher of History A, History B, History of Culture and Arts, subjects of secondary education.
- Professional Course trainers in areas consistent with their training.
- Educational Services of Institutions/Entities that have activities with/for students of several levels of education.
- Tourist offers involving knowledge of History, local history and didactic skills.
- Entrepreneurship in the area of tourism, heritage, historical centers, publications, exhibits, production of catalogs or simple promotional flyers.
For more information see: Candidate webpage
| Academic Portal
Initiation to the Professional practice – Pedagogical internship
The executive board of the Masters in Teaching History in the 3rd cycle of Basic Education and in Secondary Education informs:
- The candidates to the Professional Practice Initiation who wish to complete the internship component in the next school year should manifest that intention until June 30, by sending an email to email@example.com with: name, student number, mobile phone number, email address and stating the will to participate in the internship in the following year.
- The executive board of the Masters will list all the candidates who are interested in being part of the pedagogical internship in the Basic and Secondary schools that have protocols with the Faculty of Arts of Porto University. The manifestation of this intention outside of the predefined deadline will turn the candidates into supernumerary.
- In accordance to the previous point, the candidates will be contacted via email by the executive board of the Masters with information on how to proceed with the orderly manifestation of preferences regarding the available internship groups.
- Once collected, this information will be forwarded by the Masters' executive board to the Academic Management Service.
- The seriation of candidates will be done by following these criteria: a) the average of the classifications of the curricular units of the first year of the Masters (including the curricular units in which the student obtained a negative classification or was not subjected to evaluation); b) in case there of a tie, there will be a calculation of the average of the classifications of the curricular units, with 50% of the weight attributed to the scientific area of Didactics. The executive board of the Masters can consider other elements of candidate seriation, in case it is justified.
- The Masters executive board reserves the right to place the candidates in the various internship groups, respecting the number of elements that incur from the agreement with the cooperating supervisors and with the schools' directors.
For scientific and academic issues -
contact the course director: firstname.lastname@example.org
For administrative issues
- contact the Academic Management Office: email@example.com
For international mobility students
- contact the International Office: firstname.lastname@example.org