- All the administrative information: http://web.letras.up.pt/sga -
This cycle of studies is according with the European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System - ECTS.To obtain a Master's degree the student must make a total of 120 ECTS credits.
The first year of the course, divided into two semesters, corresponds to the Masters Course (not confer a degree) in Medieval Studies, with 60 ECTS credits.
The second year of the course consists of an orientation seminar and a dissertation, project or internship, corresponding to 60 ECTS credits.
The Agency for Assessment and Accreditation of Higher Education (A3ES), accredited this study cycle without conditions.
The cycle of studies leading to master's degree in Medieval Studies aims to deepen and complement studies in the scientific areas that integrate the curriculum, graduates or equivalent, providing them with skills for work or scientific research.
It should be noted that the social utility of this cycle of studies results from the ability to train specialists in research on the Middle Ages and in production of expertise.
Students are able to integrate national and international teams in order to the management and protection of historic, artistic, literary and geographical heritage.
Fields of Specialization
The course of study designated MA in Medieval Studies includes units of the scientific areas of Medieval Studies, Philology, Philosophy, Geography, History, Art History, Linguistics and Literature, as well as in any scientific area of U.Porto.
The students will be able to:
- identify, select, analyze and interpret historical sources;
- identify, analyze and characterize the architectural heritage and medieval art;
- to develop critical thinking on issues related to the Middle Ages;
- produce scientific knowledge about the Middle Ages;
- edit medieval sources;
- coordinate exhibitions and scientific issues related to the medieval period;
- acquire a comprehensive and multidisciplinary approaches on the various theoretical and methodological about Middle Ages;
- apply the knowledge gained to benefit the society.
Considering the importance of cultural heritage of medieval European society, the skills listed are essential in the training of people capable of enhancing cultural and economic this wealth.
- For more information see the Candidate Webpage -
Number of vacancies
Number of vacancies for International Student
1st cycle degree or equivalent
All information in: http://web.letras.up.pt/sga
Degree approved under Art. 54 of the Teaching Career Statute, regulated by Ordinance number 334/2008, of 30/04, for the groups: 200, 300, 400, 410 and 420. (Order of June 17th, 2014).
For scientific and academic issues -
contact the course director: firstname.lastname@example.org
For administrative issues
- contact the Academic Management Services: email@example.com
For international mobility students
- contact the International Office: firstname.lastname@example.org