|OFICIAL||Operating Systems and Networks|
|Responsible unit:||Department of Informatics Engineering|
|Curso/CE Responsável:||Master in Informatics and Computing Engineering|
|Acronym||No. of students||Study Plan||Curricular Years||Credits UCN||Credits ECTS||Contact hours||Total Time|
|MIEIC||0||Syllabus since 2009/2010||4||-||6||42||162|
The course main objectives include:
- providing knowledge and practice acquisition of fundamental concepts in designing and architecting distributed business applications;
- main distributed pattern and technology use, appropiate for scenario requirements and functionalities;
- detailed knowledge of several technologies, for fluent implementation of distributed business applications, knowing their interoperability and integration capabilities.
At the end of the semester, students presented with a complex business process description, should be capable of:
- developing an appropriate distributed system architecture
- choosing the most appropriate technologies, considering the presented scenario
- implementing and explore services and applications using the presented technologies
- integrating available services and applications, even with disparate technologies
Knowledge of general distributed systems and services, networks and protocols.
1. Distribution Fundamentals
- Distributed paradigms of message passing and remote invocation
- The mechanism of remote invocation: RPC
- Component and object-oriented distribution, middleware
- The problem of scalability
- Architectures: client-server, P2P, multi-tiered, SOA
2. Recent Technologies on distribution and componentization
- .NET Remoting
- XML, SOAP protocol and Web Services
- RESTful Web Services
- A generalization of distributed services: WCF
- Java Applicaton Servers and Enterprise Java Beans
3. Services for distributed applications (Enterprise) and its use
- Message queues and asynchronous processing
- Workflow engines
- BPM / BPEL
- Theoretical presentation of the concepts of the course unit along with the presentation of examples and demonstrations.
- Practical development of components and distributed applications with interoperability.
|Elaboração de projeto||20,00|
|Elaboração de relatório/dissertação/tese||6,00|
|Frequência das aulas||39,00|
Students have to do and present the assignments to be admitted to the final, which is also mandatory.
Open book final.
Grade = 0.6 Assgn + 0.4 Ex
Assgn - 2 Lab assignments
Ex - Open book exam
All students have to do the laboratory assignments.
The same as for ordinary students.
The Lab assignments are mandatory.
The Final component can be improved in the corresponding season.
The Lab assignments can only be improved in a new course instance.
It is expected that students have some general knowledge on networks and protocols and on distributed services and systems.