|Responsible unit:||Department of Informatics Engineering|
|Course/CS Responsible:||Master in Multimedia|
|Acronym||No. of Students||Study Plan||Curricular Years||Credits UCN||Credits ECTS||Contact hours||Total Time|
1) Comprehensive knowledge of various ways of sound synthesis as well as the most relevant languages and software to produce it.
2) Application of sound synthesis in diverse contexts of sound design and music creation.
3) Improvement and creation of new models of sound synthesis.
After successfully finishing this class, the student will be able to:
1) Know various ways of sound synthesis, as well as the most relevant languages and software to produce it.
2) Apply digital sound synthesis in diverse contexts of sound design and music composition, with emphasis in interactive media.
3) Improve, fine tune and create new models of sound synthesis for specific practical needs.
1) The various families of sound synthesis (processed recordings, spectral models, physical models and abstract algorithms):
a) introduction and historical background;
b) when feasible, implementation using analog synthesis by voltage control;
c) implementation using digital synthesis.
2) Environments for digital sound synthesis:
a) Max/MSP and Pure Data;
3) Interaction with digital sound synthesis:
a) gestural control of sound synthesis parameters;
b) granular and concatenative synthesis;
c) procedural sound design.
4) Practical applications of digital sound synthesis.
This course unit is composed by comprehensive seminars and sessions where practical exercises related to the mentioned technologies are carried out.
These practical exercises are developed further by the students outside contact hours and contribute with 40% of the final grade.
The final individual assignment, which contributes with 60% of the final grade, is the planning and implementation of a practical application of digital sound synthesis in the context of sound design for interactive media.
|Frequência das aulas||45,00|
Evaluation Formula: 0,4 * pt + 0,6 * tf
pt - assignments carried out during the semester;
tf - final assignment.
Substantial improvement of the final assignment or presentation of another assignment previously approved by the professor.
Classes will be taught in English if there is foreign students or if it is deemed necessary (e.g. presentations given by foreign professors). Students can either present their assignments in Portuguese or in English.