Grants and Incentives
Study Grants for Higher Education Students
These grants are intended for economically disadvantaged students of public higher education institutions who show merit, dedication and good academic performance(*). Apart from these grants, SASUP (Social Action Services of U.Porto) also award Special Grants. For more information, visit SASUP website
(*) - With regard to the award of SASUP grants, students registered in part-time regime must meet the eligibility requirements set out in Article 5 of the Regulation on the award of study grants to higher education students.
After publication of the grant results, students must regularise their tuition fees, taking into account the provisions of Article 10 of the Tuition Fees Regulation of the University of Porto, specifically No. 5, 6 and 7:
- No. 5 — Students whose grant applications are rejected and who wish to retain their registration must pay the outstanding instalments within thirty working days following the publication of the final rejection decision by SASUP.
- No. 6 — Students whose grant application is rejected, and who do not wish to retain their registration, may request the withdrawal from the cycle of studies within ten working days from the publication of the final rejection decision, without obligation to pay the tuition fee for that academic year and without any certification.
- No. 7 — Grant-aided students shall pay the instalments that are outstanding on the date of payment of the study grant within twenty working days following the payment of the study grant and the consequences of failure to pay the tuition fees within the established deadlines shall not apply to those instalments.
You can find information regarding values and payment of tuition fees
on the Tuition Fees page.2:
You can find information regarding SASUP grant applications and results on SASUP website
FCT Doctoral Degree Grants
Students who have applied for, or intend to apply for, an FCT (Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia) doctoral degree grant must state on their online registration form that they have applied, or will apply, for a grant. Furthermore, within 30 days, they must attach proof of the grant application on their student’s personal page, under “Comprovativo de pedido de bolsa de estudos” (Proof of study grant application) on the right hand side of the page.
After the result of the application for an FCT doctoral degree grant is published, the student must communicate the decision to the Academic Services within 15 working days:
- If the student is awarded a grant, they must hand in the grant contract signed by the student and by FCT, together with a declaration issued by that institution indicating the start date of the grant.
- If the student is not awarded a grant but wishes to stay enrolled/registered, they must pay the tuition fee for the academic year.
- If the student is not awarded a grant and wishes to withdraw from the cycle of studies, they must submit a written request asking for the withdrawal and attach proof of the grant application rejection including the date on which FCT communicated the application result.
See this and other relevant information about this matter in the Tuition Fees Regulation of the University of Porto (partially translated below for reference purposes only), more specifically:
- Article 12(1), subparagraph c) - Students in receipt of an FCT grant shall have a reduction corresponding to the difference between the amount approved for the cycle of studies and the amount of the subsidy awarded to the University of Porto by FCT. The student must submit a written request (under Requerimentos) on their student’s personal page asking for the said tuition fee reduction and attach official documentation that proves the situation that justifies the request.
- Article 13(1) — Doctoral students who have applied for an FCT grant must submit, upon registration, proof of such application and the form of payment of the tuition fee shall be dependent on the result of the application.
- Article 13(2) — Doctoral students who have applied for an FCT grant and whose application was unsuccessful but who wish to continue to be enrolled and registered in a doctoral programme must, within no more than fifteen working days from the date on which FCT communicated its final decision upon hearing of interested parties, pay the amounts of tuition fee that correspond to their registration, in accordance with one of the modalities set out in article 4.
- Article 13(3) — Doctoral students who have applied for an FCT grant and have obtained it must inform the organic unit of that decision, within 15 working days from the date on which FCT communicated its decision.
- Article 13(4) — Regardless of the academic year a student is registered for, if FCT issues a negative decision and the student therefore wishes to withdraw from the cycle of studies, he/she must submit a withdrawal request within no more than fifteen working days from the date on which FCT communicated its final decision and the training received cannot be recognised.
- Article 13(5) — If the grant is awarded, the amounts transferred by FCT are first allocated to the outstanding instalments of the academic year in which the student requested and submitted the proof of application for an FCT grant.
Students from the PALOPs (Portuguese-speaking African Countries) admitted through special regimes, and who are waiting for a subsidy to pay for the tuition fees, must state on their online registration form that they have applied for a grant.
Furthermore, within 30 days, they must upload the declaration issued by the Embassy of their country of origin attesting that they will benefit from a study grant on their student’s personal page, under “Comprovativo de pedido de bolsa de estudos” (Proof of study grant application) on the right hand side of the page.
The school insurance must be paid by ATM using the corresponding references available on the student’s personal page, under the option "Conta corrente" (Current Account).
Merit-based grants are awarded by public and private higher education institutions to students with an exceptional academic performance, regardless of their income. At U.Porto, merit-based grants are awarede in accordance with Oder no. GR.02/05/2021
- Amendment to the Regulation on the award of merit-based grants to students of the University of Porto (only available in Portuguese).
Incentives for International Students
This incentive is for all students admitted to the Faculty of Engineering – University of Porto via Special Applications for International Students. It is set out in the International Student Status, approved by Decree-Law No. 36/2014, of 10th
March, as amended by Decree-Law No. 113/2014, of 16th
July, and it is awarded based on the internal regulation of the University of Porto, provided students fulfil the eligibility criteria set out for this purpose in the Regulation regarding Incentives for 1st cycle and Integrated Masters International Students of the Faculty of Engineering – University of Porto
(only available in Portuguese).
In accordance with the provisions of article 38(1) paragraph n) of the Statutes of the University of Porto, and article 1(2) of the Regulation on the incentive programme for international students of the University of Porto, amended by Rector’s order GR. 01/06/2020, of 8th
June 2020, and published in the Portuguese Official Gazette, 2nd
series, No. 124, of 29th
June 2020, the Regulation on the Incentive Programme for Masters International Students of the Faculty of Engineering - University of Porto
(only available in Portuguese) was approved by Rector’s order of 21st
December 2020, on the basis of a proposal by the Dean of the Faculty of Engineering of the University of Porto.Public notice on Incentives for Bachelor International Students 2021/22
(only available in Portuguese).Definitive Results _Incentives for Bachelor International Students 2021/22
(only available in Portuguese).
Incentive Award for Outstanding Students – Year One, First Enrolment
This award is given by the University of Porto
in accordance with the rules established in the Regulation No. 45/2020
- Regulation on the incentive award for outstanding students in the first year of enrolment of the University of Porto (only available in Portuguese). The award amount matches the value of the tuition fee.
For more information regarding other grants:
- for research funding, contact the Support Unit to Research and Innovation via the emails email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org.
- for academic mobility or awards given by companies, contact the Cooperation Unit via the email email@example.com.