Grants and Incentives
Study Grants for Higher Education Students
These grants are intended for economically disadvantaged students of public higher education institutions who show merit, dedication and good academic performance. Apart from these grants, SASUP (Social Action Services of U.Porto) also award Special Grants. For more information, visit SASUP website
After publication of the grant results, students must regularise their tuition fees, taking into account the provisions of Article 6 of the Tuition Fees Regulation of the University of Porto, specifically No. 5, 6 and 7:
- No. 5 — Students whose grant applications are rejected and who wish to retain their enrolment and registration must pay the outstanding instalments within thirty working days following the publication of the final rejection decision.
- No. 6 — Students whose grant applications are rejected may request the cancelation of their enrolment and registration within ten working days from the publication of the final rejection decision, with no obligation to pay the tuition fee for that academic year.
- No. 7 — Grant-aided students shall pay the outstanding instalments within thirty working days following the regularisation of payment of the corresponding study grant.
See information regarding values and payment of tuition fees
available on the Tuition Fees page.2:
You can find information regarding SASUP grant applications and results on SASUP website
FCT Doctoral Degree Grants
Students who have applied for, or intend to apply for, an FCT (Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia
) doctoral degree grant must state on their online registration form that they have applied, or will apply, for a grant. Furthermore, within 60 days, they must attach proof of the grant application on their student’s personal page, under “Comprovativo de pedido de bolsa de estudos” (Proof of study grant application) on the right hand side of the page.
After the result of the application for an FCT doctoral degree grant is published, the student must communicate the decision to the Academic Services within 15 working days:
- If the student is awarded a grant, they must hand in the grant contract signed by the student and by FCT, together with a declaration issued by that institution indicating the start date of the grant.
- If the student is not awarded a grant but wishes to stay enrolled/registered, they must pay the tuition fee for the academic year.
- If the student is not awarded a grant and wishes to cancel their enrolment, they must request the cancelation of their enrolment and attach proof of the grant application rejection including the date on which FCT communicated the application result.
See other relevant information about this matter in the Tuition Fees Regulation of the University of Porto, specifically:
- Article 13(5) — Doctoral students who have applied for a grant from FCT, who have enrolled and registered in a doctoral programme, and who are awarded a grant, must pay 25% of the value of the tuition fee regarding the first year of registration if the FCT grant starts, for tuition fees purposes, over 120 working days after the beginning of the doctoral programme*, and the director of the organic unit must authorise the payment of the tuition fees in instalments, payable in the twelve months following the notification of the award of the grant.
- Article 13(6) — Doctoral students who have applied for a grant from FCT, and whose application was unsuccessful but who are and wish to continue to be enrolled and registered in a doctoral programme with a curricular component until conclusion of the said component, must pay the values of the tuition fees that correspond to the duration of the “Doctoral course”.
- Article 13(7) — Regardless of the school year a student is registered in, if FCT issues a negative decision and the student therefore wishes to cancel his/her enrolment, the student must submit a cancellation request within no more than fifteen working days from the date on which FCT communicated its final decision and, as a consequence thereof, the student forfeits his/her right to obtain any certification regarding any training received.
- No. 4 of the Annex — Students in receipt of a grant from FCT, or another external entity, shall have a reduction corresponding to the difference between the reference value and the value of the subsidy awarded to the University of Porto by the funding entity, with regard to training costs, and they must provide proof of the kind of grant they receive.
The 120 working days that occur between the start date of the doctoral programme and the start date of the FCT grant are counted from the official opening of the curricular activities (“academic year”) of that cycle of studies.
Students from the PALOPs (Portuguese-speaking African Countries) admitted through special regimes, and who are waiting for a subsidy to pay for the tuition fees, must state on their online registration form that they have applied for a grant.
Furthermore, within 60 days, they must upload the declaration issued by the Embassy of their country of origin attesting that they will benefit from a study grant on their student’s personal page, under “Comprovativo de pedido de bolsa de estudos” (Proof of study grant application) on the right hand side of the page.
The school insurance must be paid by ATM using the corresponding references available on the student’s personal page, under the option "Conta corrente" (Current Account).
Merit-based grants are awarded by public and private higher education institutions to students with an exceptional academic performance, regardless of their income, in accordance with the o Regulation on the award of merit-based grants to higher education students
- Order No. 13531/2009, of 9th June (2nd series)
. (only available in Portuguese).
Incentives for International Students
This incentive is for all students admitted to the Faculty of Engineering – University of Porto via Special Applications for International Students. It is set out in the International Student Status, approved by Decree-Law No. 36/2014, of 10th
March, as amended by Decree-Law No. 113/2014, of 16th
July, and it is awarded based on the internal regulation of the University of Porto, provided students fulfil the eligibility criteria set out for this purpose in the Regulation regarding Incentives for 1st cycle and Integrated Masters International Students of the Faculty of Engineering – University of Porto
(only available in Portuguese).
All the information, including the deadlines for application and the number of incentives, can be found on the Public notice regarding application for Incentives for International Students of 1st Cycle and Integrated Masters in 2018/2019
(only available in Portuguese).Final results - Incentives for International Students of 1st Cycle and Integrated Masters in 2018/2019
Incentive Award for Outstanding Students – Year One, First Enrolment
This award is given by the University of Porto
in accordance with the rules established in the Resolution No. 100/2005, of 28th January,
and the Regulation of U.Porto
(both documents only available in Portuguese). The award amount matches the value of the tuition fee.
For more information regarding other grants for the funding of research, post-graduations, academic mobility or awards given by companies (Business Awards
) contact the Cooperation Division by email at email@example.com