- Explore the diversified nature of contemporary urban environments under the integrated and pluridisciplinary umbrella provided by the sustainability concept.
- Encourage a closer co-operation and co-ordination of different research groups to increase the efficiency of and promote the quality of the overall research output.
- Promote synergies and build research bridges between:
- the investigation of the spatial dynamics of urban and metropolitan areas.
- the organisation, planning and management of transport systems.
- the application of traffic management systems to optimise safety, efficiency and the environmental performance of road networks.
- the understanding of the territorial dimension of competitiveness in urban and metropolitan areas.
- the development of housing policies in articulation with spatial and social inclusion strategies.
- the development of tools and indicators to assess the real consequences of the above on the current levels of citizen's quality of life.