- "Agregação" in Applied Mathematics, by unanimity, Faculty of Sciences, University of Porto, Portugal (2002).
- PhD in Mathematics, University of Warwick, UK (1991).
- MSc in Mathematics, with Distinction, University of Warwick, UK (1989).
- First degree in Applied Mathematics, with final final grade 17 (out of 20), Faculty of Sciences, University of Porto, Portugal (1986).
Awards and Honours
- Invitation by Springer-Verlag to initiate the series Springer Proceedings in Mathematics (2011).
- Maths for movies, medicine & markets. Press release by G.S. Mudur in The Telegraph Calcutta, India (2010).
- Invitation by the School of Psychology of the University of Minho to present a Research Lecture, in recognition of research impact in Psychological Sciences (2008).
- Title of Espinho Citizen and award of the Medal of Honour of the city of Espinho, Portugal (2007).
- Prize Augusto Martins, University of Porto (1984-1985).
- One of the six winners of the Portuguese Mini-Olympics of Mathematics(1981).
Journal of Dynamics and Games
American Institute of Mathematical Sciences
A. A. Pinto, D. A. Rand, and F. Ferreira. Fine Structures of Hyperbolic Diffeomorphisms. Springer Monographs in Mathematics. Springer-Verlag (2010).
Mauricio M. Peixoto, Alberto A. Pinto and David A. Rand. Dynamics, Games and Science I . Springer Proceedings in Mathematics series: 1 (2011).
Mauricio M. Peixoto, Alberto A. Pinto and David A. Rand. Dynamics, Games and Science II. Springer Proceedings in Mathematics series: 1 (2011).
Invited editor, with David Zilberman, of Modeling, Dynamics, Optimization and Bioeconomics I
, Springer Proceedings in Mathematics & Statistics, Vol. 73 (2014), Springer Verlag, (42 Chapters, 753 p.)
Invited editor, with Jean Pierre Bourguignon, Rolf Jeltsch and Marcelo Viana, of the book Dynamics, Games and Science
, CIM Series in Mathematical Sciences
, Volume 1, Springer Verlag, 2015 (772 pages).
Invited editor, with Jean Pierre Bourguignon, Rolf Jeltsch and Marcelo Viana, of the book Mathematics of Energy and Climate Change, CIM Series in Mathematical Sciences
, Volume 2, Springer Verlag, 2015 (415 pages).
Invited editor, with J. F. Oliveira and J. P. Almeida, of the book Operational Research - IO 2013
, CIM Series in Mathematical Sciences
, Volume 4 Springer-Verlag, 2015 (465 pages).
Invited editor, with Lluís Alsedà, Jim Cushing and Saber Elaydi, of the book Difference Equations, Discrete Dynamical Systems and Applications
, Springer Proceedings in Mathematics & Statistics, Volume 180, Springer-Verlag, 2016 (335 pages).
Invited editor, with Elvio Accinelli Gamba, Athanasios N. Yannacopoulos and Carlos Hervés-Beloso, of the book Trends in Mathematical Economics
, Springer-Verlag, 2016 (383 pages).
Main research areas in Mathematics
- Universality, focal decomposition of M. Peixoto, and semi-classical quantization of mechanical potentials such as Galileo's pendulum, generalizing the results of R. Feynman for harmonic power;
- Determination of the boundary between order and chaos, via Feigenbaum-Coullet-Tresser renormalization; universal and geometric properties of the dynamical systems that are in the boundary between order and chaos, generalizing the results of D. Sullivan;
- Determination of the geometric properties of chaotic dynamics, via Gibbs measures;
- Determination of stochastic models of complex natural and social systems such as rivers flow, Wolf´s sunspot numbers, stock indices, exchange rates and commodity prices. Using the functions of the probability distribution of Bramwell-Holdsworth-Pinton and lognormal to characterize the universal properties of fluctuations, which incorporate the complexity and high dimensionality of the interactions among the constituents of these systems, via Ruelle-Takens method;
- Characterization of critical thresholds in epidemiological dynamical systems, namely SIS, SIR and SIRI, responsible for the appearance of epidemic diseases;
- Characterization of critical thresholds in immunological dynamic systems, responsible for the appearance of autoimmune diseases;
- Fixed point theory applied to stochastic evolution of prices in Edgeworthian trading markets with dual agents;
- Effects of network structures of firms, of uncertainty in the costs of production, of the use of research and development programs in prices charged by firms in oligopoly models, namely Cournot, Bertrand and Hotelling models;
- Game theory and decision-making applied to theory of planned behavior of Ajzen, leading to a characterization of leaders and of social crises via evolutionary dynamics and R. Thom catastrophe theory.
Areas of interest
- Physical sciences > Mathematics
- Social sciences
- Health sciences
- Natural sciences
- Technological sciences