- Prof. Doutor Félix de Carvalho
- Prof. Doutora Lúcia Guilhermino
- Prof. Doutor Vítor Vasconcelos
The PhD Programme in Environmental Toxicology and Contamination (PDCTA) is a joint 3rd Study Cycle of the ICBAS, the FCUP and the FFUP of the University of Porto with the participation of 3 research centres classified as units of excellence in scientific research by the Portuguese Foundation for the Science and the Technology: the CIIMAR, the IBMC, and the REQUIMTE.
The 3rth Study Cycle in Environmental Toxicology and Contamination is a platform of high education and scientific research of excellence, including teachers/researchers with different backgrounds in the scope of Environmental and Life Sciences. The central objective is to prepare human resources of high scientific and technical multidisciplinary qualification able to contribute to face the environmental impacts caused by the major global problems, especially in what concerns the adverse effects and risks of chemicals and other stressors to the environment and health. It is intend to attract strongly motivated candidates from several regions around the world, contributing to a multicultural atmosphere made of diverse experiences, according to the spirit of openness to the society and the world that the Porto University always encouraged and has been implementing.
Interdisciplinary advanced knowledge and training in Environmental Contamination and Toxicology and related areas will be provided, including the capability of recognise and characterise environmental problems and their effects on health; planning and implement research and/or action projects able to address and solve theoretical and applied situations; obtain, analyse and interpret data; assess and manage environmental risks and resources; communicate results and risks to different types of audience. It is also intended to develop the students’ capabilities of creativity, autonomous thinking and planning, search and update of information, critical analysis, scientific and technical maturity, team working in a multidisciplinary, international and multicultural context, and intervention and decision-making in environmental issues. More information in "PDCTA-Objectives, competences & structure" in the folder informações.
The PDCTA duration is 3 years. It offers a very flexible curricular component allowing overcoming difficulties resulting from previous education profiles if necessary, and the acquisition of advanced scientific and technical competences in parallel with the PhD Thesis preparation. The PhD project may be started immediately after the admission of the student and it will be done in an environment of high level and international research. The scientific productivity will be promoted. Thus, among other conditions, an original full length paper with the student as first author published, in press or submitted to an international journal will be required to accept the PhD Thesis for public defence. The curricular plan is available in informações.
Accreditation of previous academic, scientific or professional experiences and competences is possible after request of the student through the official ways.
APPLICATION PERIOD: july 15 to october 15, 2013.
CONDITIONS FOR APPLICATION:
When applying to the PDCTA, candidates may have already a proposal of a PhD project and supervision team, as well as candidates that do not have yet a PhD project and supervision team proposal. In both cases, they should fulfil at least one of the conditions indicated in points 1-4:
1. Holders of a Master degree or legal equivalent degree in areas in the scope of Environmental or Life Sciences.
2. Holders of a licentiate’s degree in areas in the scope of Environmental or Life Sciences with an exceptionally relevant educational or scientific curriculum vitae recognised by the University of Porto as providing sufficient evidences of the capability to successfully complete the programme.
3. Holders of an exceptionally relevant educational, scientific or professional curriculum vitae recognised by the University of Porto as providing sufficient evidences of the capability to successfully complete the programme.
4. Holders of degrees obtained in foreign universities may be accepted as candidates after curricular demonstration of having an adequate scientific preparation as indicated in 1.
1st PHASE – Number of positions available: 20
Application period: july 15 to october 15, 2013
Divulgation of the results: october 28, 2013
Information of the canditates: e-mail
Appeal: october 28 to november 1, 2013
Registration period: november 9, 2013
- INFORMATION FOR REGISTRATION: please go first to the Gabinete de Pós-Graduação and then to Tesouraria.
Starting of the Programme: registration date
EVALUATION CRITERIA: information available in the document "PDCTA-applications-2012" in the folder informações.
|Type of course/cycle of study:||Doctoral Degree|