The Faculty of Pharmacy of the University of Porto (FFUP) is the oldest Faculty of Pharmacy in Portugal. It was created in 1921 and continued the traditions of the School of Pharmacy, which was created in 1836.
FFUP is a higher education institution focused on teaching and research in the area of Pharmaceutical Sciences. In addition to the transmission of scientific knowledge and skills, FFUP has a continuous concern with the human and ethical domains, training professionals of excellence in the different areas of Pharmaceutical Sciences.
The training courses offered by FFUP are constantly updated, aiming the rigour and quality of teaching, as well as its adaptation to the demands and needs of the labour market. The FFUP offers diversified courses, including the Integrated Master degree in Pharmaceutical Sciences, seven second cycles of studies and seven third cycles of studies, some of them in collaboration with other institutions. It also promotes pedagogical, scientific and technical exchanges with national and international institutions, and develops extracurricular and professional training sessions.
FFUP is also aware of its social responsibilities, providing public services that consolidate its active role among the local society.
FFUP is extremely active and productive and occupies a top place in the ranking of University of Porto as far as the publication of papers indexed in prestigious international scientific journals are concerned. All the academics are integrated in Research Units classified by FCT either as very good, or excellent.
Since January 2012, FFUP shares a complex of buildings with ICBAS, which constitutes a Centre of Health and Life Science with an enormous development potential for the North Region. Its modern facilities are lodged in an area of more than 35 thousand square meters in an area where the Rectory of U. Porto was previously located.
Dedicating special importance to the training and research components, the existing FFUP facilities comprise a large number of laboratories, lecture theatres, classrooms, computer rooms, offices and a library, which are able to receive an academic community of more than 1,500 people among which are students, lecturers, researchers and administrative staff.