Félix Carvalho is graduated in Pharmaceutical Sciences, PhD in Toxicology and Aggregated in Chemical Sciences by the Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Porto (FPUP), Portugal. Presently Félix Carvalho is:
- Full Professor of Toxicology at FPUP
- Head of the Toxicology Laboratory at FPUP
- President of the Scientific Council at FPUP
- President of EUROTOX (Federation of European Toxicologists and European Societies of Toxicology)
- President of the North Regional Section of the Portuguese Order of Pharmacists
- Numerary member of the Academy of Pharmaceutical Sciences of Portugal
- External Expert of the European Medicines Agency (EMEA)
- Member of the Committee for Evaluation of Medicines at the National Authority of Medicines and Health Products, I.P. (INFARMED)
- Member of the editorial board of several scientific journals.
His main area of research is Toxicology, with a particular interest in the evaluation of mechanisms of toxicity of xenobiotics (e.g. drugs of abuse, pesticides and toxins) and the development of antidotes. During the past 32 years, Félix Carvalho has published over 500 scientific articles/book chapters, and is co-editor of two Books in the area of Toxicology: “Toxicologia Forense” and “Toxicologia Fundamental”.).