Instance: 2021/2022 - 1S
Cycles of Study/Courses
Teaching Staff - Responsibilities
Teaching - Hours
|Theoretical and practical :
Last updated on 2021-09-27.
Fields changed: Observations
Introductory Course on Mechanics and Waves where fundamental physical principles in these areas are presented.
Learning outcomes and competences
Upon completion of this course, students should be able to:
- Analyze physical quantities in terms of units and dimensions.
- Analyze elemental problems of motion in one, two and three dimensions. Analyze, in particular, the motion of projectiles and circular motion.
- Apply Newton's laws and the work-kinetic energy theorem in common introductory problems.
- Understand introductory concepts involved in the conservation of linear momentum and energy.
- Apply the basic principles relating to simple harmonic motion.
- Physical quantities, units, dimensional analysis
- Particle Mechanics
Rectilinear motion and motion in space.
Newton's laws. Work and energy.
Conservative and dissipative forces. Potential energy. Potential energy curves. Binding energy.
Damped and forced oscillations.
- Fluid Mechanics
-Introduction to Elasticity
Elastic coefficients. Hooke's law.
Waves in material media. Examples. Progressive and stationary waves. Wave equation.
Plane waves. Wave superposition: constructive and destructive interference.
Reflection, refraction, transmission and diffraction of waves - introduction.
Marcelo Alonso e Edward J. Finn; Física, Escolar Editora, 2012. ISBN: 9789725922965
R. Resnick; Física
. ISBN: 85-216-0299-5 Vol. 1
Robert Resnick; Física
. ISBN: 85-216-0077-1 Vol. 2
Paul A. Tipler; Physics for scientists and engineers
. ISBN: 978-0-7167-8964-2
Teaching methods and learning activities
Lectures to present and discuss the referred topics, using examples to help understanding concepts, laws and calculation techniques. Problem classes to solve problems and exercises.
Distributed evaluation with final exam
Amount of time allocated to each course unit
|Frequência das aulas
Eligibility for exams
Attendance of theoretical-pratical (TP) classes, according the assessement rules of UPorto. The students who have obtained frequency in the previous year may request exemption from the TP classes.
Calculation formula of final grade
Nf = E.
Nf - final grade;
E - exam classification (from 0 to 20).
Special assessment (TE, DA, ...)
Final examination only.
Jury of this curricular unit:
- Pedro Pina Avelino
- Caroline dos Santos da Silva
- Catarina Gasparinho Godinho Lobo