Did You Know...
With over 100 years of history, the University of Porto is one of the oldest universities in Portugal?
The University of Porto was formally created on 22 March 1911, as a result of the newly implanted republican system. However, it stems, since the 18th century, from many combined experiences of training in Science, Arts and Medicine, which would lead to the future University.
Thus, when it opened its doors in 1911, the U.Porto was supported by the solid basis of an almost 150-year old process. Initially, the University was structured in two different schools (Science and Medicine), but over the course of the 20th century several autonomous areas of knowledge and corresponding schools gained ground. Still in the first quarter of the 1900s, three new schools came into existence: in 1915, the Faculty of Technology (renamed Faculty of Engineering in 1926), in 1919 the Faculty of Arts and in 1925 the Faculty of Pharmacy.
The growth of the University would be halted by the ‘Estado Novo’ (New State), the dictatorship which ruled Portugal from 1926 to 1974. The Faculty of Arts was extinguished in 1928 and would only be restored in 1961. The only school to be created during this period was the Faculty of Economics (1953).
After the Democratic Revolution, in April 1974, the U.Porto moved forward and grew to how we know it today. Eight more schools joined the existing six, scattered among the three different sites, which shaped the new university grounds: the Abel Salazar Institute of Biomedical Sciences (1975), the Faculty of Sport (1975), the Faculty of Psychology and Education Science (1977), the Faculty of Architecture (1979), the Faculty of Dental Medicine (1989), the Faculty of Nutrition and Food Science (1992), the Faculty of Fine Arts (1992) and the Faculty of Law (1994). In between, a school of postgraduate studies was created – Porto School of Management (1988 – later renamed in English as Porto Business School).
In 2011, the University of Porto celebrated its first 100th anniversary.