Faculty of Medicine
Established in 1911 on the site of the former Medical-Surgical School, the Faculty of Medicine (FMUP) is one of the founding schools of the University of Porto, along with the Faculty of Sciences. Currently attended by over a thousand students from various cycles of study, FMUP is (along with the Abel Salazar Institute of Biomedical Sciences, ICBAS) a reference institution for Portuguese students pursuing a medical education. FMUP is known for the quality of its training (which privileges a strong practical component), for its intense scientific activity and for the provision of services to the community.
The Faculty of Medicine first operated from the old building of the former Medical-Surgical School. Nearly half a century later, the Faculty moved to the facilities of the São João Hospital at Asprela (Polo II). This resulted in a close collaboration in teaching and research, as well as in public medical care. 2012 saw the construction of a purpose-built medical research facility on the FMUP premises.
Alameda Prof. Hernâni Monteiro
4200-319 Porto, Portugal
Telefone: (+351) 22 551 3600