Admissions | Special Regimes
In addition to the National Contest for Admissions to Higher Education (CNAES, it is possible to apply for the 1st cycle (bachelors degree) and integrated masters courses at the U. Porto through a set of special regimes for candidates with specific qualifications and personal circumstances. Unlike the Special Contests,this admissions possibility is directly organised and coordinated by the Directorate General for Higher Education – Direção-Geral de Acesso ao Ensino Superior (DGES).
Currently, students in the following situations can benefit from special admissions:
- Portuguese diplomatic mission abroad - Employees of Portuguese diplomatic missions abroad and their accompanying family members.
- • Portuguese citizens with scholarships abroad or civil servants on an official mission abroad and their accompanying family members.
- Officials of the Portuguese Armed Forces - Permanent officials of the Portuguese Armed Forces who satisfy the specific training needs of the Armed Forces.
- PALOP scholarship students - Scholarship students from Portuguese-speaking African Countries – Países Africanos de Língua Oficial Portuguesa (PALOP) who satisfy the cooperation agreements signed by the Portuguese Government.
- Accredited foreign diplomatic mission in Portugal - Foreign workers on an accredited diplomatic mission in Portugal and their accompanying family members.
- High-performance athletes
- Citizens from East Timor
For more information, see Special Regimes in the DGES website..
Application via the special regimes only occurs once a year, according to the DGES calendar and should be done in person at the U.Porto’s Office for Access to Higher Educationor through diplomatic channels in the case of PALOP scholarship students.
Applications via the special regimes for the 2015/2016 academic year take place between 27 July and 14 August 2015.
Note: Special regime entrance requirements (minimum qualifications, required documents, etc.) may vary. The candidate can apply through only one of these regimes each academic year. If an applicant is granted admission through a special regime but does not register and enrol on time, they cannot, unless there is a justified and documented reason, apply for admission through the CNA or apply through another special regime within the same academic year.
Applicants who already hold a foreign or Portuguese higher education degree, with the exception of Portuguese Armed Forces Officials, cannot apply through the special regimes.
The generic legislation for the Special Regimes is available (Portuguese only) in the DGES website. (DGES).
On the DGES website, you can find all the relevant information (in Portuguese only) about the Special Regimes of admissions to higher education in Portugal. If you need any further help, please contact the U.Porto's Office for Admissions to Higher Education (GAES-UP), located at the Rectorate building.
Office for Admissions to Higher Education (GAES-UP)
Praça de Gomes Teixeira
4099-002 Porto, Portugal
Phone: (+351) 220 408 237
All year personal and phone support
10h00 › 12h30 / 14h00 > 16h00 (Monday, Wednesday and Friday); 12h00 > 17h00 (Tuesday and Thursday)
Personal and phone support during the Higher Education application period
19 July 2017 to 11 August 2017: 09h30 › 15h30 (Monday to Friday)
14 August 2017 to 8 September 2017: 09h30 › 12h30 (Monday, Wednesday and Friday feira); 13h00 › 17h00 (Tuesday and Thursday)
11 to 22 September 2017: 09h30 › 15h30 (Monday to Friday)