Special Contests 2016/2017
Considering the growing number of foreign students interested in attending Portuguese universities to obtain a full degree, the International Student Statute (ISS) was created in March 2014 to regulate admissions to U.Porto for candidates who are not Portuguese nationals or from another European Union country. For the admissions to 1st cycle (bachelors degree) and integrated masters courses, this is done through the Special Admissions Contest for International Students.
- Who can benefit from the ISS?
- Who can apply?
- Tuition Fees
- Useful legislation
- Contacts and useful information
All students who are not Portuguese nationals are covered by the U.Porto’s ISS except for::
- Nationals of another European Union country;
- Students who are not nationals of an EU country and who, on 31 August of the year they intend to apply for higher education, have legally resided in Portugal for more than two uninterrupted years, including children legally living with them;
- Students who apply for entry into higher education through the Special Regimes;
- Students of a foreign university who are attending the U.Porto or another Portuguese institution of higher education through an international mobility programme that has an established exchange protocol.
Students who meet the ISS requirements but who enrolled at the U.Porto before the 2014/2015 academic year are regarded as being equivalent to Portuguese students until concluding, without having interrupted, their studies at the U.Porto.
To apply to a U.Porto course through the ISS, you must fulfil one of the following requirements:
- Hold a Portuguese secondary school diploma or legal equivalent, issued by a secondary school or by the appropriate services within the Ministry of Education;
- Hold a qualification that grants access to higher education, understood as any diploma or certificate issued by a competent authority in the country of origin, attesting to the student's completion of an educational programme that confers them the right to apply and enrol in higher education in Portugal. Validation of this qualification should be issued by the official education services of the country in which the qualification was obtained.
Note: Students who fulfil the requirements of the ISS but who enrolled at U.Porto before the 2014/2015 academic year, are considered equivalent to Portuguese students until concluding their studies, without interruption, at the University.
Applications should be submitted online to the academic services of the U.Porto faculty where the student wishes to study, within the indicated deadlines.It is up to each U.Porto faculty to establish the entry requirements in accordance with the Regulations for the application of the U.Porto International Student Statute (in portuguese). Applications are completed upon electronic submission of the application form and all necessary documents, plus payment of all due fees..
Applications for the academic year 2017/2018 are open. You can find detailed information here.
For the 2017/2018 academic year, the U.Porto faculties have 414 vacancies for 47 1st cycle courses (bachelors) and integrated master coursesaccessible through the Special Contest for International Students. The faculties of Nutrition and Food Sciences, Medicine and Dental Medicine, and the Abel Salazar Institute of Biomedical Sciences (ICBAS) do not have vacancies available through this contest. Check the map of available vacancies by course.
The annual fee/tuition amount to be paid by ISS students is defined every year by each faculty of the U.Porto according to the real cost of each cycle of studies. Minding the ties that bind Portugal to the countries of the CPLP - Community of Portuguese Language Countries (Angola, Brazil, Cape Verde, Guinea-Bissau, Equatorial Guinea, Mozambique, São Tomé and Príncipe and East Timor), a reduction of up to 50% may be applied to the tuition paid by students from those countries.
The tuition fees applied to ISS students who will attend the 1st cycle (bachelors degree) and integrated masters courses full time in the 2017/2018 academic year can be consulted here.
General legislation regarding the Special Contest for International Students is available (in Portuguese only) for consultation in the Directorate General for Higher Education (DGES) website. For more information, please consult the Regulations for the application of the U.Porto International Student Statute (English version forthcoming).
The site of the Directorate General for Higher Education (DGES) has all of the relevant information regarding the Special Contest for International Students. For more information, contact the U.Porto Office for Admissions to Higher Education (GAES-UP) or the academic services of the U.Porto faculty that you wish to apply to.
Office for Admissions to Higher Education (GAES-UP)
Praça de Gomes Teixeira
4099-002 Porto, Portugal
Telephone: (+351) 220 408 237
Open for in-person and telephone assistance year-round:
9:30 am › 12:30 pm (Mon, Wed, Fri); 12 pm > 5 pm (Tue, Thu)
In-person and telephone assistance hours during the period of university applications (2016):
21 July to 12 August: 9:30 am › 3:30 pm (Mon-Fri)
16 to 19 August: 10 am › 4 pm (Mon, Wed, Fri); 10 pm › 5 pm (Tue, Thu)
22 August to 9 September: 10 am › 12:30 pm / 2 pm > 4 pm (Mon, Wed, Fri); 10 am › 12:30 pm / 2 pm > 5 pm (Tue, Thu)
12 to 23 September: 9:30 am › 12:30 pm / 2 pm › 4:30 pm (Mon-Fri)