Son of Professor Aarão Ferreira de Lacerda, of the Polytechnic Academy and the Faculty of Sciences of Porto, Aarão Lacerda was born in Porto on 23 February 1890. After his BSc in Law, at the University of Coimbra, which he passed with distinction, he opened his practice in Porto and admitted his preference for Arts. Even as a student, he founded the literary magazine "Dionysos" and organized, together with other people related to the arts in Porto, the first exhibition entitled "Modernists and Humorists", in 1915.
When he returned to the University of Coimbra, he attended a course in Historical-Philosophical Sciences at the Faculty of Arts, and became one of the favourite pupils of Joaquim de Vasconcelos, who even suggested his name as his successor in the chair of Archaeology, which was impossible because he was still a student. His master also recommended him as his successor in the Porto School of Fine Arts, where he taught, on a provisional basis, History of Art since 1918. In the same year, he co-founded the Portuguese Anthropology and Ethnology Society, along with José Ferreira, Mendes Correia and Luís Viegas.
In 1921, after the death of Professor Teixeira de Carvalho, he was invited by the Faculty of Arts of Coimbra to occupy the chair of Aesthetics and History of Art (3rd Group), which he declined after receiving a similar invitation from the First Faculty of Arts of Porto, where he took up office on 4 January 1922. Already in an academic teaching career, he sat the exams for the degree in Coimbra, and passed with a final mark of 19 out of 20. He held functions at the Faculty of Arts of the University of Porto until it closed on 31 July 1931, where he taught Archaeology and General History of Civilization. On 19 April 1926 he was awarded the degree of Doctor of Letters – Historical Sciences.
In the following years, he dedicated himself to teaching at the Porto School of Fine Arts, as Tenured Professor of the 8th Group, teaching General History of Art, General Artistic Archaeology and Portuguese Artistic Archaeology. By Order of 23 October 1939, he was appointed Head of that School. In 1944, he accepted the invitation to teach Acoustics and History of Music at the Porto School of Music.
When Professor Virgílio Correia died in 1945, Professor Aarão de Lacerda sat the public exams to fill the chair of Aesthetics and History of Art at the Faculty of Arts of Coimbra and passed the examinations. He dedicated himself to teaching these two subjects, on an exclusive basis, until he died on 7 September 1947, in Curia.
(Universidade Digital / Gestão de Informação, 2008)