|Júlio de Brito
Architect, engineer and lecturer
Júlio José de Brito was born on 30th March 1896, in Paris. His father was José de Brito, a painter, and his French mother was Isabelle Ruffier Poupelloz de Brito (1874-1954).
After completing his general secondary school education, he was admitted to the Architecture Course, in 1910, at the Porto School of Fine Arts, and, at the same time, attended the complementary high school education and the Engineering Course at the Faculty of Engineering of the University of Porto, completed in 1924 with the final mark of 14 out of 20.
In 1926, he obtained his diploma in Architecture.
In 1922, as a student, he taught the 9th Grade in the Rodrigues de Freitas High School, and moved in 1926 to the Porto School of Fine Arts, as Interim Teacher. Here, he became Tenure Professor in 1928, where he remained until he retired, in 1964. In the Fine Arts course, he taught mostly Calculus, Materials Resistance, Structures and Topography.
In addition to a life dedicated to teaching, he also worked as engineer and architect, and was responsible for many projects, for instance, the project for Teatro Rivoli (1929-1932) and Coliseu Cinema (1972-1973), in Porto, the latter co-signed with Cassiano Branco and Mário de Abreu; the Domingos Fernandes House (1927), at 151 Mouzinho de Albuquerque Square, also in Porto, in collaboration with Manuel Mendes. This "House" was one of the first constructions in the city influenced by the International Decorative Arts Exhibition in Paris, 1925.
Other projects designed by Júlio de Brito in Porto include the buildings owned by Companhia de Seguros Garantia (building between Sá da Bandeira and Fernandes Tomás streets, in Saraiva de Carvalho Street, building between Ramalho Ortigão Street and Aliados Avenue); the building of the Companhia de Fiação e Tecidos de Fafe, between Aliados Avenue and Rodrigues Sampaio Street; Confeitaria Ateneia, in Liberdade Square; Figueirinhas Library, the building between Ceuta Street and José Falcão Street; the CIFA building, in Ceuta Street; the building between Duque de Loulé Street and Alexandre Herculano Street; a building in Pedro Nunes Square; the building where the ATNP - TB Northern Association - preventive services are located, in S. Roque da Lameira Street. He was also the co-author of the project for the former facilities of the Faculty of Engineering, in Rua dos Bragas Street; the Fábrica das Sedas Aviz - a silk factory (which no longer exists). He also projected the Aviz building and café, in Aviz Street, as well as the Parish Council building in Cedofeita, in 1934.
Some of his works outside the city of Porto include the Montalto Sanatorium, in Gondomar, the Garantia Hotel and the Famalicão Market, the Jordão Theatre, in Guimarães, the S. Pedro Theatre Hall, in Espinho, the "A Nacional" building, in Braga, the Vila Real High School, the buildings in the Carmelitas Convent, in Marco de Canaveses and in Monte de Estoril, the Singeverga Nun's Convent, in Santo Tirso, and the agency of Banco Pinto de Magalhães, in Ouro Street, in Lisbon.
Júlio de Brito was also a member of civic and cultural institutions.
He died on 26th March 1965, in Porto.
(Universidade Digital / Gestão de Informação, 2009)