FLUP | 1 Investigador doutorado | Projeto CANVAS (CT a termo resolutivo incerto)
Aplications until 20th November
By order of Dean of the Faculty of Letters of the University of Porto, of 16th of October of 2018, it was decided to open an international selection competition for hiring 1 PhD Researcher in the FOS scientific areas 5.7 Social and Economic Geography and 5.4 Sociology, to carry out scientific research activities, under projet ‘CANVAS - Towards Safer and Attractive Cities: Crime and Violence Prevention through Smart Planning and Artistic Resistance’ (Ref.ª POCI-01-0145-FEDER-030748), ongoing at FLUP, by means of an individual fixed-term employment contract, under the Portuguese Labour Code, for integrating the research project team.
The researcher, he or she, will be part of all phases of the project, and should develop advanced research related to the implementation, in Portugal, of theoretical and practical mechanisms supporting the third generation of crime prevention through environmental design (CPTED or CP-UDP) and regeneration through sociological cultural/artistic activities. The researcher will particularly be responsible for:
a) Conceiving the theoretical and methodological body of the research;
b) Collecting, processing and statistical treatment of data relevant for the project, including criminal, insecurity, urbanistic and socio-cultural data, using appropriate software (ArcGIS, SPSS, Nvivo);
c) Creation of relational databases, and geospatial and statistical models in a GIS environment, for the creation of a decision support tool;
d) Case study analysis through the articulation with the institutional partners, the local stakeholders and the community, including the presence in community workshops to be developed;
e) Evaluate the validity of the tools developed and their applicability to the case studies, in order to propose action plans for intervention in consonance with the local partners;
f) National and international dissemination of the results of the project, through the writing of scientific papers, presentations in scientific meetings, the preparation of the final conference and web dissemination;
g) Other functions of management and execution of the project, developing the necessary activities to fulfil the required goals.
The contract shall be in force during the time of execution of the aforementioned project and subject to budgetary availability.
2. Applicable Legislation
Decree-Law n.º 57/2016, of August 29, amended by Law No. 57/2017 of July 19 (Legal Regime of Scientific Employment - RJEC); Regulatory Decree n.º 11-A / 2017, of December 29; Portuguese Labour Code, approved by Law nº. 7/2009, of February 12, in its current wording.
3. Pursuant to article 18 of the RJEC, this competition is exempted from the authorization of the members of the Government responsible for the areas of finance and Public Administration, namely that referred to in paragraph 3 of article 7 of the General Public Service Labour Law (LTFP), obtaining the prior favorable opinion of the members of the Government responsible for the areas of Finance and Public Administration referred to in paragraph 5 of article 30 of the LTFP and the procedure for the recruitment of workers in requalification situations, referred to in article 265 of the LTFP.
4. In accordance with Article 13 of the RJEC, the Selection Panel of the competition is composed as follows:
Dr. Teresa Maria Vieira de Sá Marques, Associate Professor of the Faculty of Arts of the University of Porto
Dr. Miguel Marinho Saraiva, Invited Assistant Professor of the Faculty of Arts of the University of Porto
Dr. Paula Maria Guerra Tavares, Assistant Professor of the Faculty of Arts of the University of Porto
5. The workplace is located at the Faculty of Arts of the University of Porto, Porto, Portugal, namely at CEGOT – Centre of Studies on Geography and Spatial Planning.
6. The monthly remuneration to be paid is of ¤2,128.34, corresponding to level 33 of the Single Salary Table, approved by Order no. 1553-C/2008 of December 31.
7. This competition is open to national candidates, foreigners and stateless persons holding a doctorate degree in the scientific field of Humane Geography, Territorial, Urban or Regional Planning, Sociology or related scientific area, and with a scientific and professional curriculum that shows an appropriate profile for the activity to develop.
If the candidate holds a doctoral degree awarded by a foreign higher education institution, it must be recognised by a higher education institution in Portugal and it must comply with the provisions established in Decree-law No. 341/2007, published in the Official Gazette (Diário da República), 1st series, No. 197, of 12th October. This formality must be met by the deadline set to submit the application.
8. Specific requirements for admission are as follows:
a) Extensive knowledge on the management, planning and regeneration of urban spaces;
b1) Proved experience in the building and treatment of relational databases, using statistical software (ex. SPSS, advanced Excel) or text analysis software (ex. Nvivo)
b2) Proved experience in advanced spatial analysis and geostatistical modeling using Geographical Information Systems;
c) Proved scientific independence and capacity for internationalization;
d) Advanced knowledge of the English language (spoken and written).
9. Preferential requirements:
a) Authored a thesis or dissertation on themes relevant to the project;
b) Published on themes relevant to the project;
c) Worked on research projects, or professional experience, on themes relevant to the project.
10. Pursuant to article 5 of RJEC, selection is to be made based on candidate scientific and curricular career evaluation.
11. Scientific and curricular career evaluation focuses on relevance, quality and up-to-dateness:
a) Scientific, technological, cultural and artistic production of the last 5 years considered more relevant by the candidate for the project theme;
b) Applied or practice-based research activities developed in the last 5 years and considered of greater impact by the candidate for the project theme;
c) Activities of extension and dissemination of knowledge developed in the last 5 years, namely in the context of the promotion of culture and scientific practices, considered of greater relevance by the candidate for the project theme.
12. The period of five years referred to in the preceding paragraph may be increased by the Selection Panel, at the request of the candidate, when substantiated in suspending scientific activities for socially protected reasons, namely parental leave, prolonged serious illness, and other situations of unavailability for work that are legally protected.
13. The evaluation criteria are as follows:
1) Curricular evaluation (ponderation of 90%), where the following criteria will be evaluated:
a) Possess a Doctoral degree on Humane Geography, Territorial, Urban or Regional Planning, Sociology (10%), or else in related areas (5%).
b) Quantity/quality of the scientific production, with special emphasis on indexed international production and in areas related to the project: up to 20%.
c) Being part of research teams on research projects (scientific and applied) associated to the management, planning and regeneration of urban spaces, particularly on areas related to the project: up to 15%.
d) Specific experience in the building and treatment of databases; and/or in advanced spatial analysis and geostatistical modeling using Geographical Information Systems; up to 35%.
e) Quantity / quality of activities of extension and dissemination of knowledge, particularly on areas related to the project: up to 10%.
f) Motivation Letter, that should focus on the curricular importance of the candidate in relation to the evaluation criteria, and prove his/hers advanced knowledge of the English language: up to 10%.
2) Interview (ponderation of 10 %)
In the interview more specific topics related with the previous experience of the candidate and the results of his research will be discussed, and how they fit with the project’s main goals.
14. The evaluation process includes an interview to the three best ranked candidates.
15. The final classification system is expressed on a scale of 0 to 100 points.
The final evaluation is the outcome of the pondered sum of the curricular evaluation and the interview evaluation. The Selection Committee can choose not to attribute this contract if it considers that there is not a candidate with a suitable profile, namely a candidate that does not obtain a score above 75%.
16. The Selection Panel shall deliberate by means of a nominal vote based on the selection criteria adopted and published, and abstentions are not allowed.
17. The decisions taken at the Selection Panel meetings’ will be registered in minutes, which contain a summary of what has taken place in them, as well as the votes cast by each of the members and respective reasoning, and shall be provided to candidates whenever required.
18. After completing the application of the selection criteria, the Selection Panel will draw up an ordered list of successful candidates with their respective classification.
19. The final decision of the Jury is approved by the leader of the institution responsible for opening the competition. The final decision on hiring is the responsibility of the leader of the contracting institution.
20. Submission of applications:
20.1 Candidates must submit their applications, addressed to the President of the Selection Panel, stating the identification of the position, full name, number and date of the identity card, citizen's card, or civil identification number, date of birth, address and contact address, including e-mail address and mobile phone.
20.2. The application shall be accompanied by documents proving the conditions laid down in numbers 7 and 8 of this notice, namely:
a) Copy of the PhD certificate or diploma;
b) Detailed curriculum vitae structured in accordance with the items in numbers 8,9 and 13;
c) Cover letter stating the motivations of the candidate to join the project;
d) Brief description of the most relevant scientific and university extension activities of the last 5 years, according to paragraph 2 of article 5 RJEC, and number 10 of this notice;
e) Other documents relevant to the evaluation of the candidate, taking into account the special admission requirements for each position.
20.3. The candidates present their applications and supporting documents, in digital format, PDF type, to the email addresses firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. The message subject should mention the full position reference FLUP| 1 PhD researcher | CANVAS.
20.4. Applications must be submitted by the 10th working day (latest at 11.59 pm GMT or GMT+1, when applicable) following the publication of this notice in the 2nd series of the Official Gazette (Diário da República), the Public Employment Exchange (Bolsa de Emprego Público), the Eracareers portal, the Recruitment page of the University and on FLUP’s website.
21. Candidates who incorrectly formalize their application or who do not prove to have the requirements of this competition will be excluded. The Selection Panel has the power to require any candidate, in cases of doubt, to present documents supporting their statements.
22. False statements provided by the candidates shall be punished by law.
23. The lists of the admitted and excluded candidates as well as the final classification lists will be published on the Recruitment page of the University (https://sigarra.up.pt/spup/pt/noticias_geral.lista_noticias) and the website of the Faculty of Letters of the University of Porto (FLUP) (www.flup.up.pt), and the candidates will be notified by email with delivery receipt.
24. Preliminary Hearing and Final Decision Deadline: pursuant to article 121 of the Administrative Procedure Code, after notified, all candidates have 10 working days to respond. The panel’s final decisions will be announced within a maximum period of 90 days, counted from the deadline for submitting applications.
25. This competition is exclusively destined to fill the announced vacancies and can be terminated at any time until approval of final candidate list, expiring with the respective occupation of said vacancy.
26. The Selection Panel approved this notice at the meeting held on 08/10 /2018.
Porto, 6th of november 2018
The Dean of Faculty of Letters of the University of Porto.
Professora Doutora Cândida Fernanda Antunes Ribeiro