|Responsible unit:||Behavioural Sciences|
|Course/CS Responsible:||First Cycle Degree (BSc) in Aquatic Sciences|
|Acronym||No. of Students||Study Plan||Curricular Years||Credits UCN||Credits ECTS||Contact hours||Total Time|
|LCMA||35||Oficial Plan 2018||1||-||5||49||135|
|Liliana Maria de Carvalho e Sousa|
It is intended to promote the learning of fundamental concepts for the comprehension of animal behavior in order to:
(1) analyze, in a historical perspective, the beginning of the systematic study of animal behavior and of the major behavioral systems common to several species, and
(2) apply the acquired knowledge to practical situations.
Students will develop works with the objective of consolidating the knowledge acquired in the theoretical aspects of the discipline and of promoting reflection skills.
1. To know Ethology fundamentals
2. To develop a critical and creative spirit
3. To develop skills for organizing and presenting team work
5. To solve problems: to organize and plan work based on acquired knowledge
(1) The historical evolution of ethology and principal concepts, the phylogenetic evolution of behavior
(2) Study of behavioral systems (agonistic, sexual, binding); territorial and hierarchical behaviors
(3) The cognitive ethology. Communication and culture
(4) The ontogenesis of behavior
(5) Ethology, application areas and aquatic animals
PDF of scientific articles will be available to students
A methodology combining theoretical lectures, group work and debates based on examples of animal behavior observation.
|Apresentação/discussão de um trabalho científico||70,00|
|Apresentação/discussão de um trabalho científico||42,00|
|Frequência das aulas||63,00|
Oral presentation of group work
Team work – 70%;
Final examination – 30%.