The Doctoram Program in Education of the University of Porto (Portugal) main goal is the development of original research in the scientifc area of education in close relationship with research projects based in the Centre for Research and Intervention in Education (CIIE). The Centre is financed by the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT).
1st and 2nd semesters
Structures and Dynamics in Research Work
– The unit is mainly concerned with the ‘state of the art’ in specific domains of research on education. The curricular unit will use the analysis of published research projects, debating their methodological paths. It aims at developing scientific research skills, by means of operating relevant research questions.Research Seminar I
is held in a tutorial basis, closely organized with research groups of CIIE: Knowledge, Innovation and Diversities in Education (KIDE)
and Policies, Communities and Participation (PCP).
This unit aims at contributing to the design and development of the students’ thesis projects. The objective is that students can conceive and design a relevant and original research on education. Collective work, in the seminar, and tutorial individual supervision are integrated in the curricular structure.Issues and Problematics in Contemporary Education
– this unit is focused on major themes and issues in the educational field: Social and educational theories; Education and social change; Education and formation of identities in an era of transition; Knowledge, policies and organizational and curricular practices; Education and training of youth and adults. It aims to transform these themes into research questions, using the most advanced and specialized information, and to contribute to the expansion of knowledge. It deals with major themes and interrogations in the educational field, and aims at elaborating them as research issues.
At the end of the 2nd Semester, the doctoral student will present before an examining panel his/her research project. 3rd and 4th semesters
In these semesters the Doctoral Program includes a Research Seminar (tutorial regime), Thematic Seminars, a Scientific Writing Seminar and paper presentations on the basis of the research undertaken by the students. These semesters aim at developing a more systematic tutorial contact in order to develop further elaboration of the theoretical framework and methodological construction of the research project.5th and 6th semesters
During this period, students are expected to develop and write their theses. A Seminar will provide the support for this work. It is expected that students present 3 papers at inter/national conferences and publish a paper in a journal with peer-review.
- Annual tuiton:
- National students: ¤ 2.750,00
- International students: ¤ 5.500
- International students from CPLP: ¤ 2.750,00 (provided they submit a request to the Director asking for 50% reduction of the annual tuition)
- Admission fee: ¤ 100
T. | +351 22 042 89 20
E. | email@example.com
E. | firstname.lastname@example.org Academic Office
T. | 22 042 89 00
E. | email@example.com