Psychology is the science of human mind and behavior, and social interactions. Therefore, professionals other than psychologists may find a background in psychology useful and important for their practice. The cycle of studies leading to the Master's degree in Psychological Themes (MTP) has as its main goal the qualification of professionals with training in diverse areas, so as to enable them to perform their activity with in-depth knowledge and skills in selected topics of psychology.
Graduates of this program will have a sound understanding of psychological principles and research methodologies in selected fields.
They will be able to identify key theories and apply them to a wide variety of contemporary challenges.
They will be able to evaluate and use research critically to inform professional practice, and to credibly design, conduct, analyze and present research that will support decisions and strategic development.
They will be able to integrate knowledge from various sources, handle complex issues, develop solutions and make judgments on limited or incomplete information, including reflections on the implications and ethical and social responsibilities that result from those solutions and judgments.
They will be able to use both theory and empirical evidence to advance research goals and solve new problems.
Finally, they will approach creatively their own career development, prepared to life-long learning and to apply their knowledge and skills in new ways responding to an evolving world.
For the 2020-2022 edition, the course is organized in the following Thematic Areas:
- Neurocognition and Language – is intended for graduates in the areas of Psychology, Life and Health Sciences (e.g., Biology, Pharmacy) and Linguistics who wish to conduct research in one of the topics currently being investigated by our research group at the Center for Psychology at the University of Porto. We study complex cognitive processes, such as language (including dyslexia and written composition), communication, emotion and executive function, from a neurocognitive and translational perspective.
For more information, please see our website at http://www.fpce.up.pt/labfala/people.html
- Psychology of Deviant Behaviour and Justice – is intended for graduates in the areas of Social and Human Sciences who wish to research deviant behavior addressed in its biopsychosocial complexity. Dissertations are elaborated with focus on one of the following areas: a) comprehensive/explanatory of the drug phenomenon in urban context and sex work; b) interventions oriented to risk reduction and harm minimization; c) policies in the fields of drugs and sex
- Psychosocial Rehabilitation and Mental Health – The Master in Psychology, domain of Psychosocial Rehabilitation and Mental Health is prepared for professionals having a 1st cycle in: Psychology, Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy, Medicine, Nursing, Social Work, Social and Community Intervention Technicians or other areas whose activity implies promoting the effective improvement of the functionality and quality of life of people with experience of mental illness, as well as their social inclusion. This Master aims to provide mental health and rehabilitation professionals with skills (knowledge, abilities and attitudes) adjusted to current reality and knowledge. This teaching of this thematic Master area is performed by both FPCEUP and School of Health –Polytechnic Porto, according the agreement between FPCEUP and ESS-P.Porto. The topics addressed are focused to mental health (including current issues such as depression, stress, trauma and burnout), recovery and rehabilitation care to people with psychosocial disabilities. These topics will be guided by the most current values of this area’s knowledge and the principles of a practice based on evidence, covering an extensive and complex knowledge-being, know-knowing and know-how network in the field of psychosocial rehabilitation. The projects to be developed in this Master domain will use quantitative and qualitative methods and will be integrated into ongoing investigations in the Psychosocial Rehabilitation Laboratory and in the Psychosocial Social Support and Rehabilitation Network for People with Mental Illness from the Metropolitan Area of Porto.
The MTP (Master in Psychology Themes) provides students with a background in scientific methods used to describe, predict, understand, and explain human behavior in a number of selected themes.
In the 2019-2021 edition, this course is organized in the following Thematic Areas:
Course session, 2019/2021 edition, on September,20 de 2019:
- Child Education and Development – Children’s Rights and Protection
- Neurocognition and Language
- Psychology of Deviant Behaviour and Justice