Medical Informatics focuses on the theoretical aspects of information science specific to the understanding of biomedical data, information and knowledge and the practical application of information technologies to health care systems. Its aim is to improve security, effectiveness, efficiency, equity and availability of health care.
The master program will address a variety of scientific and technical issues such as: computer-based patient records in general practices and hospitals; coding and classification systems of diseases and procedures; norms and standards of ICT in the health domain; signal analysis and image processing; electronic communications between health care providers; decision support systems; and the implementation and evaluation of information systems and technologies.
This program has been specially designed for physicians, nurses and other health professionals, as well as for computer scientists or engineers who wish to improve their medical informatics skills and knowledge, and to apply them into their practice or their organization, aiming at improving the delivery of health care.
Degree, by national or international institutions, in the areasof health and life sciences, mathematics, computer science, information sciences and technologiesand related fields.
• describe and explain the history and values of health informatics and relations with associated disciplines;
• analyze and model a particular biomedical problem, by identifying, implementing or validating a possible solution, by using interactive and iteractive processes;
• work in teams, in an effective way, with members of different areas ;
• communicate, in an effective and persuasive way, to audiences of different areas, in written or oral form.
• relate and model information systems with concepts and models of patient care;
• explain and analyze the nature of data, information and biomedical knowledge;
• understand and apply data representation and models;
• recognize and apply the methods and processes used in the different contexts of informatics in health.
• Be familiar with the concepts of health regarding biology, biomedicine and public health and with the research issues;
• understand the effective use of data, information and knowledge in biology, health care, clinical research and health services;
• analyze and evaluate solutions based on ICT and Health Information Systems.
Technology Assessment and Information Systems
• Be familiar with the core concepts of social, organizational, cognitive and decision sciences;
• Have skills in the design of systems centered in humans, methods of research, ethical, legal and security issues;
• understand the limitations and challenges of IT solutions;
• design, implement and validate biomedical software applications;
• understand the main methods and results of evaluation studies in health technologies, namely, the study of the clinical, social and economic impact of ICT in health.
Masters in Medical Informatics can perform duties as managers or consultants in health information systems, project managers in Health Information Systems or Information Technology researchers in the Health area, especially in decision support systems, e-Health, signal processing and medical imaging and computer security, among others.
The marketplace for these professionals include, among others, Health computer application companies, Hospitals, Clinics, Health centers and other health facilities, administrative health (sub)regions, higher education institutions, research and development , equipment manufacturing medical instrumentation companies and other Health-related companies.
Min:15 Max: 25
Positions - 25 (including 2 positions under Erasmus Mundus, 3 positions under CPLP)
1st Phase - 12
2nd Phase – 6 + remaining positions
3rd Phase - 2+ remaining positions
Online Applications: 18/05/2015 to 22/05/2015
Lists with admission results (on-line): 09-06-2015
Appeals and complaints (if applicable): 11/06/2015 to 12/06/2015
Decision publication: 15-06-2015
Registrations: 16/06/2015 to 22/06/2015
Placement of substitutes (when applicable): 23/06/2015 to 26/06/2015
Online Applications: 30/06/2015 to 03/07/2015
Lists with admission results (on-line): 14-07-2015
Appeals and complaints (if applicable): 15/07/2015
Decision publication: 16-07-2015
Registrations: 17/07/2015 to 22/07/2015
Placement of substitutes (when applicable): 23/07/2015 to 24/07/2015
Phase 3 - if not filled all positions in 1st and 2nd Phase
Online Applications: 24/08/2015 a 31/08/2015
Lists with admission results (on-line): 04-09-2015
Appeals and complaints (if applicable): 07-09-2015
Decision publication: 08-09-2015
Registrations: 09/09/2015 to 10/09/2015
Placement of substitutes (when applicable): 11/09/2015
BEGINNING OF THE SCHOOL YEAR
Starting Date: 14/09/2015
Fee Full Time: Reference value of UP = 1250¤ /year
Fee Part Time:937,5¤ /year
FEE FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS:
Tuition fee for students covered by the International Student Status, approved by Decree-Law 36/2014 of 10 March)
Fee Full Time: 4500¤ /year
Fee Part Time: 3375¤ /year
Fee Full Time (CPLP): 2250¤ /year
Fee Part Time (CPLP): 1687,5¤ /year
Department for Research and Post-Graduate Studies
Tel.: + 351 22 551 36 76
Fax.: + 351 22 551 36 92
E.Mail - email@example.com
|Type of course/cycle of study:||Masters Degree|