Go to:
Esta página em português Ajuda Autenticar-se
Você está em: Start » Courses/CE or Courses/Cycle of Studies or Programmes/Cycle of Studies » Specialization » PGMD

Esqueceu-se da senha?


Sports Medicine

Exercise is very important for the welfare of people and for the treatment and prevention of diseases. The practice of physical activity whether in federated sport, leisure or as prevention and treatment of diseases has increased exponentially, with the advantages and the problems inherent to its practice.

The specificity and importance of the constraints inherent to the practice of physical activity and sport imply knowledge, of physiology, assessment, and treatment that were not developed in undergraduate education, on a medical degree.


Scientific Committee

Ovídio Costa, PhD

André Moreira, PhD

Carlos Vaz, PhD

Manuel Gutierres, PhD

Posts available

Max: 200 (max. 20 students in classroom) / Min : 30



Who is it for?

Medical Doctors (MD)


How is the selection process?

Applicants will be given classifications assessing the course final grade and professional category.

Final grade:  
. 20 Marks_ 80% 
. 19 Marks _ 75%  
. 18 Marks _ 70%
. 17 Marks _ 65%
. 16 Marks _ 60%
. 15 Marks _ 55% 
. 14 Marks _ 50% 
. 13 Marks _ 45% 
. 12 Marks _ 40%  
. 11 Marks _ 35%
. 10 Marks_ 30%

Professional category:

. Specialist _ 20%

. Intern 10%

. Resident_5%


. Decisive criterion in case of tie:

In case of a tie it will prevail the best avalition in professional category.


Type of attendence to be chosen by the student:

Students have the opportunity to choose between two sistems to assist classes: the Presencial classes and the classes by videoconference. Both systems allow students access to classes, by combining 3-way (presence in the classroom, video conferencing and recorded lesson). Each system differs in the percentage of how to assist the class.

1. In the presencial class students must attend at least 75% of classes in person in the classroom. The remaining 25% of the classes can be attended by videoconference and / or recorded class.

2. In the class for videoconference students must attend at least 75% of classes through video conferencing. The remaining 25% of the classes can be watched through the recordings.



Provide the knowledge and training necessary to good practice in the field of sports medicine assigning at the end of the course, if approved, Postgraduate Diploma in Sports Medicine.

Teaching method:

Lectures, practical sessions, internships.



Professional Abilities

Professional skills

Recognizing of morphological and physiological adaptations of the organism to intensive and prolonged training and the different demands required in various sports.

Adquire a set of basic knowledge necessary to practice the activity of the doctor who carries sports medicine in its main tasks: Medical Sports assessment, sports counseling, evaluation and control of the training of athletes as well as nutrition applied to sports. It´s also referred the most common diseases that for the hight frequency limit the sports performance.



Online applications (unique phase): Until 22/08/2017

Posting of provisional results: 25/08/2017

Preliminary Hearing: 28/08 to 08/09.2017

Display of final results: 11/09/2017

Presentation of claims about the results: 12/09/2017

Publication of the final decisions about the claims: 13/09/2017

Online enrollment: 14 to 26/9/2017

Candidate notification mode: Online in the FMUP Website

Crediting of academic background and professional experience:

. Submission of the application in the enrollment act

. Publication of results: In 15 working days


National students:

Price: 2,500.00¤ + ¤ 2 (school insurance).

Respective benefits and deadlines for payment:

   . 1st payment: 1000,00¤ + 2¤ (school insurance), payable at time of enrolment;

   . 2nd payment: 500,00¤ to be paid until 31/12/2017;

   . 3rd payment: 500,00¤ to be paid until 28/02/2018.

   . 4rd payment: 500,00¤ to be paid until 31/05/2018.

International Students (that require simultaneous interpretation in English):

Price: 3,500.00 ¤ + 2¤ (school insurance).

Respective benefits and deadlines for payment:

   . 1st payment: 875,00¤ + 2¤ (school insurance), payable at time of enrolment;

   . 2nd payment: 875,00¤ to be paid until 31/12/2017.

   . 3rd payment: 875,00¤ to be paid until 9/02/2018.

   . 4rd payment: 875,00¤ to be paid until 31/05/2018.


Minimum applications required for foreign students who need simultaneous interpretation in English = 45

Course Timetable: Friday from 2.30pm to 6.30pm and Saturday from 9 am to 13 pm

Facilities: Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade do Porto / Oporto University Faculty of Medicine









 For more information visit:

Our site https://cursosmedicinadesportiva.med.up.pt/medicina-desportiva/descricao-geral/

Our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/P%C3%B3s-Gradua%C3%A7%C3%B5es-em-Medicina-Desportiva-1707423106181854/

Departamento de Apoio à Investigação e à Pós-Graduação da FMUP 
Educação Contínua
Tel.: 220426957
e.mail: educacaocontinua@med.up.pt/pgmdgeg@med.up.pt

General information

Teacher Responsible: André Moreira
Acronym: PGMD
Type of course/cycle of study: Specialization
Start: 2002/2003
End: 2017/2018
Duration: 1 Years

Study Plan


  • Sports Medicine (36 ECTS credits)

Predominant Scientific Areas

Recommend this page Top