- All the administrative information: http://web.letras.up.pt/sga -
See the Official Documents of the Study Cycle.
This study cycle leads to a Masters degree in Teaching English in the First Cycle of Basic Education. The curricular components of this degree focus on the development of the scientific and pedagogic competences required to be a teacher of English within the professional recruitment group 120.
The Agency for Assessment and Accreditation of Higher Education (A3ES) accredited this study cycle with conditions:
The different components of the Master’s degree aim:
- To ensure that on a professional, social and ethical level, the future teacher adapts to the specificities of the social and educational contexts they may find themselves in, while respecting the ethical and deontological demands of teaching;
- With regard to the development of the processes of teaching and learning, to provide the student with scientific knowledge and methodological competences which may enable them to provide quality teaching which ensures meaningful learning;
- With regard to school participation and the relationship with the community, to develop an understanding of teaching as a global and integrated activity;
- Regarding lifelong professional development, to make initial teacher education the starting point of a journey based on reflection on educational issues and professional practice which responds to individual, institutional or social challenges.
Fields of Specialization
Teacher education for English in the first cycle of basic education, professional recruitment group 120.
Intended learning outcomes (knowledge, skills and competences) to be developed by the students:
- an understanding of the circumstances which have led to the implementation of English in primary schools in Portugal and within the broader socio/political context across Europe;
- an understanding of the primary context and curriculum, and how learning a foreign language is part of a broader, integrated, interdisciplinary approach to education at this level;
- the understanding of what it entails to be a teacher of children and the responsibility to educate the whole child, not only the development of and positive attitude towards the foreign language and other cultures, but of the mother tongue, and social, cultural and cognitive development;
- the skills and competences to design lessons, tasks and materials;
- the ability to conduct practitioner research in the field which may contribute to the scientific knowledge base in this area;
- the ability to critically reflect on key issues in teaching English in the primary context and the impact of this on other cycles of education.
- For more information see the Candidate Webpage -
Number of vacancies
Number of vacancies for International Student
1st cycle degree or equivalent
Course entry requirements:
In accordance with article 18 of the Decree law nº 79/2014, candidates must have a bachelors degree and have obtained 80-100 ECTS in English studies (a minimum of 36 of which should be in the English language). Candidates must also provide proof that they have reached the C1 level of competence in English language which corresponds to the Common European Framework of Reference scales.
As defined by Decree law 79/2014 of 14 May (altered in Decree law 176/2014 of 12 December) and stipulated in article 17, candidates are required to complete a written test of the Portuguese language and an interview in order to assess their written and spoken competences and suitability for Masters level study.
All information in: http://web.letras.up.pt/sga
(According to the fees table U.Porto, a fee will be charged in the amount of ¤ 30 , corresponding to the test of Portuguese.
All interested in applying should take the test regardless of whether or not completed a degree at the time of the test. )
For scientific and academic issues -
contact the course director: firstname.lastname@example.org
For administrative questions
- contact the Academic Management Services: email@example.com
For international mobility students
- contact the International Office: firstname.lastname@example.org