|Responsible unit:||Department of Communication and Information Sciences|
|Course/CS Responsible:||Third cycle of studies in Information and Communication in Digital Platforms|
|Acronym||No. of Students||Study Plan||Curricular Years||Credits UCN||Credits ECTS||Contact hours||Total Time|
|ICPD||1||ICPD - Study Plan||1||-||6||-|
|José Manuel Pereira Azevedo|
The central objective of this curricular unit is to increase the student’s knowledge and understanding of media’s social significance. It aims to reveal the work of the media industries, the ways media texts convey their meanings, the ways audiences engage themselves with media, and provide basic knowledge about the theory of networks as well as identify in the new interactive platforms, specific forms of sociability. At the end of the curricular unit, a student should have gained a more extensive and critical appreciation of media’s function in people’s lives and their role as a central institution in contemporary society which helps us to make sense of our world
- Be able to critically reflect on the reciprocal relations between media and society
- Be able to develop original research on one of the topics of the course
1. Media and Society - Sociology of Media
2. Production: the media industry and the social world
3. Content: representations of the social world
4. Audiences: meanings and Influence
1. Elements of general theory of networks
2. Spreading of information in physical social networks versus digital virtual networks.
3. The Lasswell’s model and the two-step theory of mass communication revisited according to the new interactive
4. Production of interactive content and mechanisms of social recognition in new interactive platforms
Expositive teaching, supported by projections, in order to supply the basic theoretical concepts.
Evaluation: oral and written presentation of a theoretical assessment.
Paper work 80 % + attendence and participation 20 % = 100