- All the administrative information: http://web.letras.up.pt/sga -
This cycle of studies comprises six semesters. Students must attend the curricular part in the first two semesters, called PhD course and that gives no degree. This course corresponds to 60 ECTS and is constituted by curricular units, some obligatory, others optional. The second and the third years correspond to 120 ECTS and have as goal to prepare the PhD dissertation.See the study cycle official documents.
The Agency for Assessment and Accreditation of Higher Education (A3ES) accredited this study cycle without conditions.
To develop the capacity of autonomous research, systematization and elaboration of research works in fundamental / theoretical and applied fields in the broad area of Language Sciences, in the four branches of the course: Linguistics, Human Language Technologies / Natural Language Processing, Translation and Didactics of Languages.
Fields of Specialization
Linguistics (LING), Human Language Technologies (HLT), Translation (TRANS), Didactics of Languages (DID LANG).
- develop autonomous research, conceiving and developing a personal project of scientific research, that is innovative and relevant to the state of the art in the four areas of the program;
- deepen the capacities of theorization and conceptualization relevant to the chosen scientific area;
- develop advanced research on language and languages;
- provide language consulting services in enterprises and linguistic companies of several types;
- participate in projects of specialized translation in different domains;
- collaborate in projects in Computational Linguistic and Forensic Linguistics;
- provide language teaching expertise increasingly founded on theoretical and applied research;
- assign a special importance to language acquisition and learning, in multilingual and multicultural frameworks.
- For more information see the Candidate Webpage -
Number of vacancies
Number of vacancies for International Student
Specific entry requirements
Students may apply to the program if they:
Specific entry requirements will be:
- hold an M.A. degree or its equivalent in any of the areas of the course;
- hold a first degree, as well as a CV evincing relevant scientific work that is recognized as demonstrating the capacity to carry out this cycle of studies by the competent Scientific Committee;
- hold an academic, scientific or professional curriculum vitae that is recognized as demonstrating the capacity to carry out this cycle of studies by the competent Scientific Committee.
- Education in accordance with the legislation in force and training in natural languages and their applications;
- Professional experience in those areas;
- Goals and motivation related to the scientific areas of the study cycle, shown in the interview.
All information in: http://web.letras.up.pt/sga
The curricular units of Natural Language Processing, from the branch of Human Language Technologies of this PhD course, will be taught by teachers from the Engineering and Economics Faculties from the University of Porto.
For scientific and academic issues -
contact the course director: email@example.com
For administrative issues
- contact the Academic Management Services : firstname.lastname@example.orgFor international mobility students
- contact the International Office : email@example.com