- All the administrative information: http://web.letras.up.pt/sga -
The Master in African Studies (MAF) is a joint degree of the Faculty of Arts and Humanities and the Faculty of Psychology and Pedagogical Sciences, counting upon the active collaboration of the Faculties of Economics and Law, in order to promote interdisciplinarity.
MAF offers a theoretical and methodological training, associated with a wide range of options. It combines mandatory seminars (a common core) with optional subjects from different scientific backgrounds. This coordination aims to ensure the transmission of specific knowledge on African realities and to make available theoretical and methodological tools to contribute to differentiated and qualified interventions in African realities.
Among the disciplinary fields covered by MAF, are:
- Communication Science
- Cooperation and Development
- Cultural Studies
- Economics and Administration
- Education Sciences
- Environmental Studies
- International Studies
- Political Science
Among the aims of MEAF are the articulation of different scientific areas in order to:
- Promote global knowledge of African realities;
- Contribute to the formation of qualified staff and to the implementation of development politics in Africa;
- Contribute to the training of specialists in various areas of African scientific and professional activities;
- Develop capacities to conceive and implement projects in organizations of international cooperation and development, including ONG’s;
- Contribute to a transfer of knowledge between the academic world and the society so as to improve a qualified intervention in the fields of culture, economy, politics, society and science in Africa.
Academic and social project
MAF objectives are generally compatible with the University of Porto’s educational, scientific and cultural projects. Internationalization, interdisciplinarity, cooperation, development and knowledge transfer are key words of the MAF and the U.Porto project. MAF students have the option to develop either an academic dissertation, or a project or an internship in governmental or non-governmental organizations, related to society, culture or business, all in keeping with this priority. MAF benefits from the participation of UPorto in research networks and international cooperation such as European programs under the Erasmus + (Batuta and Dream) as well as Mobile+, led by U.Porto (http://mobileplus.up.pt/?lang=pt
Áreas de Especialização
Throughout four academic semesters and amounting to 120 ECTS, MAF's degree will be concluded in the 2nd academic year by presenting an academic dissertation, an intervention project or to undertake a professional internship. In any case, they will defend their dissertation or internship report before an academic committee.
Internships and the development of practical projects will have as potential host entities embassies and consulates; NGOs, newspapers and other media and cultural associations of migrants in Africa or Europe, companies performing in African countries.
The Master in African Studies has considerable potential, mostly regarding employability. It represents an important contribution to the formation of both Portuguese and African graduates with an interest in cooperation with Africa.
MAF has a significant potential for employment in the areas of Cooperation in the fields of Education, Citizenship, Economy and Environment, through the formation of qualified specialists, and the endowment of a broadband training, within a pluri- and multidisciplinary framework.
Graduates by MAF will have specialized skills in the field of African Studies able to provide services in area such as:
- Training, including training of trainers;
- Technical advice
- Collaboration with programs in education, economy, citizenship;
- Expert advice to enterprises and business companies operating in Africa, considered vital to the Establishment of a responsible and informed collaboration with local communities.
MAF students might find placements in:
- CPLP (Community of Portuguese Speaking Countries)
Governamental services and administration
NGO’s, namely those connected with cooperation and development aims
NGOs, newspapers and other media; associations of migrants in Africa or Europe and
European Community institutions (European Commission; European Parliament, European Council)
International and intergovernmental organizations (ONU, UNESCO, among others)
Requirements for applicants:
According to Art. 17 of Decree-Law 74/2006, 24th March, students holding the following qualifications will be admitted to application to the Master’s degree in African Studies:
- Holders of a Portuguese graduate degree (180 ECTS) or legally equivalent;
- Holders of a foreign graduate degree corresponding to a 1st level of studies according to the Bologna Program in any adherent country;
- Holders of a foreign graduate degree recognized as adequate by the Faculty of Arts;
- Holders of an academic, scientific or professional curriculum recognized as adequate by the Faculty of Arts.
We welcome especially candidates holding a Social Sciences degree (History, International Relations, Political Studies, Sociology, Anthropology, Economy, among others) but we accept applications from every other scientific area.
Candidates who fulfill every requirement for application will be asked to attend to an interview or to submit a written questionnaire on motivation, experience and foreseen projects.
Seminars are held mostly in Portuguese as most of our international students are Portuguese-speaking (Brazilian, Portuguese speaking African), although several international experts are invited every year and their lectures are usually held in English. Every student is welcome to prepare their assignments, dissertation and/or reports in English, French or Spanish, and every teacher is open to discuss them in at least English.
All informations in: http://web.letras.up.pt/sga
Please check out advertisements in the main webpage (www.letras.up.pt)!
For general information:
For scientific and academic issues -
contact the course direction: email@example.com
For administrative questions
- contact the Academic Management Services : firstname.lastname@example.orgFor international mobility students
- contact the International Relations Office : email@example.com