- All the administrative information: http://web.letras.up.pt/sga -
The Doctoral Program in Philosophy provides the deepening of scientific and methodological competences oriented to the production and transmission of philosophical knowledge, the acquisition and improvement of the research capacity, the preparation for a highly qualified professional performance, the complement or the accomplishment of an academic and formative path with an innovative, reflexive and critical nature.
- The Doctoral Program in Philosophy combines multiple dimensions throughout its three-year length: 1) education by qualified teachers; 2) student integration in the Philosophy Institute, an FCT financed research unit classified with Very Good (2015); 3) a demanding and stimulating environment for a depth study; 4) autonomy and initial means for the preparation and completion of research projects; 5) education opportunity in knowledge transmission; 6) international mobility and contacts possibility; 7) activities integrating students from former academic years; 8) support in the scholarship application process.
- The Program is organized by the European transfer and accumulative credit system ECTS(60 ETCS per year; 180 ECTS in whole). The first year constitutes the “PhD course”, during which the student will attend two seminars (60 credits) each semester. In the two consecutive years (can be 4, at most), the student will perform research (equivalent to 120 credits) and the PhD thesis, integrating research and related activities under the guidance of one or more teachers. In partial time attending, these deadlines double.
Applicants with preparation in Philosophy and a curriculum adequate for the accomplishment of a PhD may be dismissed of attending the 1st year, completing the PhD program completely through research, under the supervision of one or more teachers.
- Certificates and diplomas: For the completion of the academic part (course = 1st year: 60 ECTS), a depth studies diploma is attributed. The PhD degree in Philosophy is obtained after a presentation, defense and approval of a PhD thesis.
- This Program is recognized for career progression effects in group 410/Philosophy, by order of the Secretary of State of Education, June 12th 2009, under Art. 54 of the Teacher Career Statute in Basic and secondary education (DL 15/2007, January 19th), regulated by Ordinance no. 334/2008, April 30th.
The Doctoral Program provides full support in grants applications.
- Access Requirements: this program is open to holders of education in Philosophy or in other scientific domains who show motivation and proper education for studies with a high research level, according to the established in law and in the University’s and the Program’s regulations. The following may apply:
- Holders of a Master’s degree (which, cumulatively with the graduate degree, should make up a minimum of 300 ECTS) or legal equivalent;
- Holders of a graduate degree (correspondent to a minimum of 240 ECTS) and of a specially relevant academic or scientific curriculum, recognized as adequate by FLUP’s Scientific Council, after hearing the PhD’s Scientific Commission;
- Holders of an academic, scientific or professional curriculum recognized as adequate by FLUP’s Scientific Council, after hearing the PhD’s Scientific Commission;
- Holders of equivalent academic degrees to the former points, organized according to the Bologna Program and attributed by higher education institutions in any adherent country.
- Program’s direction:
- Director: Profª. Doutora Paula Cristina Pereira
- Scientific Commission: Profª. Doutora Paula Cristina Pereira; Prof. Doutor José Meirinhos; Profª. Doutora Sofia Miguens.
- Monitoring Committee: Profª. Doutora Paula Cristina Pereira; Prof. Doutor Paulo Tunhas. Estudantes: Diana Mendes; Sílvia Bento.
- Scientific coordination: The approval of thesis projects, the monimation of supervisors and thesis examining committees, are a competence of FLUP’s Scientific Council, after a proposal of the PhD’s Scientific Commission.
- Fee: See here for more information
All informations in: http://web.letras.up.pt/sga
For scientific and academic issues - contact the course direction: firstname.lastname@example.org
For administrative questions - contact the Academic Management Services : email@example.com
For international mobility students - contact the International Relations Office : firstname.lastname@example.org