||The Integrated Master in Environmental Engineering has been awarded the international EUR-ACE quality label. This certifies MIEA as a high-quality programme which meets the international standards for professional engineering education at the masters level. [+ info]
In a professional point of view, masters in Environmental Engineering should be capable of designing and implementing preventive, intervention and rehabilitation technologies, in order to diminish or eradicate the harmful effects of pollution and reduce the use of natural resources, thus minimizing the negative impacts of human activity in the Environment. Some of the activities of an Environmental Engineering master are:
- Environmental assessment, including diagnosis of contaminations: sampling, analysis, data processing, interpretation and analysis of the impact; use of quantitative models of environmental risk analysis; preparation of environmental impact studies, particularly those associated with large enterprises of engineering;
- Environmental management, including planning of environmental quality strategies and rehabilitation of contaminated sites as well as systems for integrated environmental management;
- Water treatment and supply, including design and management of water treatment plants;
- Drainage and wastewater treatment, including design, construction and operation/exploitation of systems, processes and technologies of drainage, treatment, and recovery/reuse of domestic wastewater, agricultural, and industrial and rainwater; as well as the expertise and inspection, monitoring of sanitation systems;
- Project and management of solid waste treatment systems;
- Remediation of soil and groundwater;
- Management of ecosystems, including industrial ecology;
- Water resources management;
- Climate change and air quality, including monitoring of gaseous discharges;
- Acoustics and vibrations;
- Planning and land-use management;
- Energy and its environmental impact;
- Environmental health and occupational safety;
- Execution planning, technical direction and supervision of the activities referred to above;
- Development of strategies of response to exceptional emergency situations, such as those originated by spills of toxic compounds.
The Integrated Masters in Environmental Engineering comprises a comprehensive training, which aims at providing an integrated, holistic and multidisciplinary vision to solve environmental problems, by developing students’ skills to forecast and identify harmful environmental effects and solve them technologically and integrate the solutions in a sustainable industrial and social development.
Who can apply
Environmental engineers should know how pollutants are generated, measured and controlled. Consequently, this degree encompasses a continuous sequence of laboratory classes and assignments, both autonomous or in group, followed by discussion. The connection of the study plan and critical interaction with professors intends to develop students’ self-confidence and communication skills, in order to enable them to distinguish between a technical and lay audience. Graduates in Environmental Engineering should be prepared to immediately apply their knowledge in professional positions as environmental engineers in industrial companies, environmental companies, project offices, municipal services and government agencies.
Connection to the socio-economic tissue
The Portuguese institutions and companies which regularly turn to FEUP and/or Interface Institutes for the execution of services in the area of Engineering and Environmental Sciences are the following:
- MCOTA – Ministério das Cidades, Ordenamento do território e Ambiente (Portuguese Ministry of Cities, Spatial planning and Environment). .
- Secretaria Regional do Ambiente – Região Autónoma dos Açores (Regional Department for Environment – Autonomous Region of Azores).
- DRAOT – Direcção regional do Ambiente e Ordenamento do território Norte (Regional Office for the Environment and Spatial planning of the North)
- DRAEM - Direcção Regional de Agricultura de Entre Douro e Minho, Porto (Regional Office for the Agriculture of Entre Douro e Minho, Porto)
- CCDRC – Comissão de Coordenação e Desenvolvimento da Região Norte (Commission for the Development of the North Region)
- CCDRC – Comissão de Coordenação e Desenvolvimento da REGIÃO Centro (Commission for the Development of the Centre Region)
- INAG – Instituto da Água (Institute of water)
- INR – Instituto Resíduos (Institute of waste management)
- IGM – Instituto Geológico Mineiro (Institute of Geology and Mining)
- IND – Instituto de Navegabilidade do Douro (Institute of seaworthiness in Douro river)
- About 20 municipalities in the north and centre region
- -Municipalities associations of Vale do Sousa area
- Water and sewage municipalities’ services in the north and centre region.
- EDP – Electricidade de Portugal – Electricity of Portugal
- Douro e Paiva water
- Cávado water
- Trás-os Montes e Alto Douro water
- Águas de Trás-os-Montes e Alto Douro.
- SulDouro – Valorização e Tratamento de Resíduos Sólidos Urbanos, S.A.
- Dozens of industrial companies
- FEUP + Ambisousa (Inter-municipal company of solid waste treatment and management);
- FEUP + Porto Municipality (Department of Environment and Administrative Reform);
- FEUP + Institute of Water (Seashore protection);
- FEUP + LIPOR (Inter-municipal service for waste management in the Porto area);
- FEUP + PETROGAL (cooperation protocol in the area of Environmental Engineering);
- FEUP + Biological Park of Gaia (environmental education actions, specifically in the area of Earth Sciences);
- FEUP + SMAS (Municipal services of water and sewage of Porto municipality);
- FEUP + Syngenta Crop Protection, Lda. (execution of scientific research projects in the area of environmental engineering;
- FEUP + VALSOUSA (Association of municipalities of Vale do Sousa)
- FEUP + Águas do Douro e Paiva, S.A
- FEUP + Porto Municipality (“Contribution to the creation of new interventions of urban regeneration”);
- FEUP + Vila Verde municipality (area of extractive industry);
- FEUP + Vila Nova de Gaia municipality (ENERGAIA project);
- FEUP + Institute of waste management
- FEUP + Information centre of solar energy
- FEUP + Institute of waste management (Portuguese Ministry of Cities, Spatial planning and Environment).
- FEUP + Águas do Douro e Paiva, S.A (SPD project);
- FEUP + Águas do Douro e Paiva, S.A (D&R projects);
- FEUP + Direcção Regional do Norte do Instituto Nacional de Estatística (Regional office of the north of the Portuguese statistics institute);
- FEUP + Gabinete de Protecção e Segurança Nuclear (Office for nuclear protection and safety);
- FEUP + Metropolitan area of Porto;
- FEUP + Municipality of Maia (development of a strategic plan of sustainable development in the Municipality of Maia).
- 07Physics and Chemistry
- 19Mathematics A
- 02Biology and Geology
- 19 Mathematics A
Tuition Fees: 999¤
T: +351 22 508 1673