Information Science at University of Porto, through FLUP and FEUP, is now member of iSchools.
With the opening, in 2001/2002, of the first graduate degree in Information Science, the University of Porto sought to ensure an appropriate education, regarding the new information-based society, where professionals from archives and libraries, data and information systems managers and, in general, organizations’ information managers develop their activities.
This degree is the result of a partnership between the Faculty of Arts and the Faculty of Engineering, whose additional valences have allowed to build a solid and updated study plan; such plan crosses traditional knowledge with theoretical and practical applications in the information technologies and communication areas.
As a consequence of the Bologna program and the experience meanwhile acquired, the education offer by the University of Porto was restructured and a new curriculum for Information Science was defined. From 2007/2008 onwards, the length of the course was reduced to three years, and the Masters in Information Management gave place to the Masters in Information Science.
The graduate degree in Information Science is destined to students who have accomplished the 12th grade and who enjoy information’s study and treatment, as well as to Librarians, Archivists and Documentalists who seek to update and to deepen their academic preparation.
The progress and development of LCI and its graduates have been monitored by the Observatory of IS
(OIS), a collaborative project developed and maintained by students as part of a course that, over the years, gathered and systematized much information.
The OIS aims:
- Aggregate information and joint all who feel connected to the IS;
- Provide a dynamic and privileged environment to share opportunities;
- Encourage and promote the disciplinary area and the information professional;
- Enhance and strengthen a link between academia and the business/institutional environment
Access Requirements: 12th grade, Portuguese or Math test for Social Sciences;
Numerus clausus: 40
- Profª Doutora Fernanda Ribeiro (Director) (Faculdade de Letras)
- Prof. Doutor Armando Malheiro da Silva (Faculdade de Letras)
- Prof. Doutor Gabriel David (Faculdade de Engenharia)
- Prof. Doutor Manuel Matos (Faculdade de Engenharia)