Transferable skills for engineering: LaTex
||Engineering and related techniques
Instance: 2015/2016 - 2S
Cycles of Study/Courses
||No. of Students
This course provides opportunities for acquisition and development of skills of document preparation system LaTeX, a very useful tool in the production of mathematical and scientific texts, due to its high quality printing, which can also be used to produce personal documents, articles, books, theses, presentations, among others.
Learning outcomes and competences
- At the end of this course, the participant should be able to use LaTeX proficiently;
- The participant should be able to write a document in LaTeX, containing the elements commonly used in mathematical and scientific texts.
- Advantages and disadvantages of Latex, by comparaison to other systems.
- Preparation of source files
- Correction of errors
- Styles and LaTeX packages.
- Chapters, sections and appendices.
- The CTAN file.
3. Special symbols
- Symbols and special characters.
- Mathematical formulas.
4. Text blocks
- Preformatted blocks.
- Text with multiple columns.
- Footer notes.
- Other special blocks.
- Graphics and photos inclusion.
- Package for creating illustrations and mathematical charts
- Bibliographic databases.
- Table of Contents.
- List of Figures.
- List of tables.
- Preparation of scientific papers using the styles provided by the editors of the journals.
- Specific styles for theses and adaptation to FEUP style.
- Preparation of transparencies and Web pages.
- Creation of new commands.
- Modification and adaptation packages and styles.
Oetiker, T., Partl, H., Hyna, I. & Schlegl, E.; The Not So Short Introduction to LATEX 2
Teaching methods and learning activities
TEACHING METHODS AND LEARNING ACTIVITIES
In each week is taught a theoretical and a practical one-hour class. These classes take place
a computer room with Internet access.
In practical classes, the teacher explains the contents and then allows students to have time to aplly and ask questions. Each practical class has associated work for home and in the middle of the semester an
individual work is assigned that participant must conclude and submit by the end of the semester.
Distributed evaluation with final exam
Calculation formula of final grade
Final grade: F = 0,3 x T + 0,7 x R
T - test
R - final report
Laboratorio de Ensino Aprendizagem da FEUP
220 414 717 (ext 4717), email@example.com