|OFICIAL||Operating Systems and Networks|
|Responsible unit:||Department of Informatics Engineering|
|Curso/CE Responsável:||Master in Informatics and Computing Engineering|
|Acronym||No. of students||Study Plan||Curricular Years||Credits UCN||Credits ECTS||Contact hours||Total Time|
|MIEIC||47||Syllabus since 2009/2010||5||-||6||56||162|
Mobile Computing had an enormous increment in the last years with the explosion of mobile devices utilization. These devices present increasing capabilities concerning computation power, communication, storage and ease of interface. Applications extend now to incresing areas from entertainment and social networking to enterprise work.
The main ojectives include the acquisition of knowledge and practice of the main concepts of design, architecture and implementation of applications, mainly business, with particular access needs to data and computing in any place and at any time. Emphasis is on the use of current and generic frameworks, taking into account the mobile devices’ specificity.
Problems and challenges to overcome include the existing great diversity of capabilities and interaction ways and interfaces.
At the end of the semester, students presented with a complex application requirements description, should be capable of:
- choose a mobile platform, application architecture pattern, programming framework, and adequacy to the device characteristics and communication and storage needs;
- choose the most adequate technologies, taking into account the application scenario and audience;
- implement the local application and needed local and remote services, in the main available technologies, with an adequate user interface;
- integrate applications and services, even if using different technologies.
Important requirements include a good knowledge and practice in the development of reasonably sized applications in the Java and .NET environments. The development, use and integration of remote services (web services) is also very useful.
1. Applications and interfaces for mobile devices
- Mobile devices characteristics
- Communications facilities and needs
- Local storage
2. Patterns for applications on mobile devices
- Local applications
- Disconnected and connected applications
- Local and remote data needs
- Local data bases and synchronization
3. Use of current and generic programming frameworks
- Android and Windows Phone
- User interface design and programming
- Local and remote data access
4. Service-oriented applications
- Use of web services
5. Installation and deployment of applictions in the mobile devices
Development of mobile applications using current and generic programming frameworks.
Developemnt tools and the use of mobile device emulators.
- Theoretical concept exposition, with presentation of examples and demonstrations.
– Practical development of various types of applications for mobile devices.
|Elaboração de projeto||14,00|
|Frequência das aulas||42,00|
Finalizing and presenting the Lab Assignments. Open book final.
Grade = 0.6 Asgn + 0.4 Ex
Asgn - 2 to 3 Lab assignments
Ex - Open book final
Similar to normal student evaluation (Lab Assignments + written final)
The same as for ordinary students. The assignments are mandatory.
For final grade improvement, the assignments grade is the one obtained at the end of classes. The written final can be improved at the end of the semester. Lab assignments can be improved at the next occurence.