Airborne Sensors and Photogrammetry
Instance: 2021/2022 - 2S
Cycles of Study/Courses
||No. of Students
||The study plan from 2018
Teaching Staff - Responsibilities
Teaching - Hours
|Theoretical and practical :
Suitable for English-speaking students
This unit presents the main concepts related to the acquisition, georeferencing and geometric data extraction from images obtained by aerial cameras and other sensore, carried in conventional airplanes or UAVs (Unmanned Aerial Vehicles).
Learning outcomes and competences
It is aimed that the students:
1) Know the essential of the aerial image geometry.
2) Know the orientation procedures od individual and stereo pairs of optical images.
3) Know the processes of obtaining 3D data and orthorectify aerial images
4) Execute simple processing of images acquired with UAV.
5) Understand the geometry of other aerial sensors and the need for appropriate sensor models.
1. Geometry of aerial photographs.
2. Exterior orientation.
3. Stereopairs, image blocks and aerial triangulations.
4. Automatic matching methods.
5. Point clouds and digital surface models.
6. Orthorectification and mosaic composition.
7. Practical exercise of processing images acquired with a UAV.
8. Geometry of other sensor: LIDAR, linear sensors and airborne SAR.
Berberan António; Elementos de fotogrametria
. ISBN: 972-95873-5-3
Wolf Paul R.; Elements of photogrammetry
. ISBN: 0-07-292454-3
Linder Wilfried; Digtal photogrammetry
Schenk Toni; Digital photogrammetry
Teaching methods and learning activities
Presence in 2/3 of lectures
Evaluation with final exam
Amount of time allocated to each course unit
|Frequência das aulas
Eligibility for exams
Once the UC is mainly dedicated to transmit concepts lectures are based on PowerPoint presentations and some deductions or calculations presented on the blackboard. Practical exercises will be proposed, to process images acquired by a UAV, using appropriate software, with the aim of exemplifying the knowledge transmitted until then. Complementary lessons of type “O” will support the execution of the practical exercises and their analysis.
Calculation formula of final grade
100% Final exam