|Responsible unit:||Department of Geosciences, Environment and Spatial Plannings|
|Course/CS Responsible:||Master's degree in Remote Sensing|
|Acronym||No. of Students||Study Plan||Curricular Years||Credits UCN||Credits ECTS||Contact hours||Total Time|
|M:DR||1||The study plan from 2018||2||-||6||28||162|
|Maria Joana Afonso Pereira Fernandes|
|Neftali Sillero Pablos|
It is intended that students:
1) Understand what it is to do science.
2) Acquire training on the scientific method.
3) Know the process of writing a dissertation and a scientific paper, its submission and peer review.
4) Learn how to make oral and panel communications.
5) Know the ethical problems in the scope of the scientific publications, namely those related to the authorship of the papers
Students will be able to apply the acquired knowledge in the writing of their dissertation / internship project.
Students should be able to write their dissertation / internship project and a scientific paper, using the knowledge acquired about:
- The components of a scientific paper.
- Different strategies of scientific writing.
- How to Make Figures"
- How to insert references and make quotations- Submission and peer review process.
1) Philosophy of science and scientific method.
2) Communication in science.
3) Components of a dissertation and of a scientific paper
4) Strategies of scientific writing.
5) Graphic component of a scientific paper.
6) Submission and peer review process.
7) Oral and panel communications.
8) Ethics in science.
Lectures are taught based on Power Point presentations, using a variety of practical examples. The practical part will consist of writing the thesis project.
In the lectures of type “O” a more personalized support to the successful accomplishment of the practical component will be given.
The Director of the study cycle will ensure the coordination between this curricular unit and the Dissertation/Training Course, so that each student can use its own Dissertation/Training Course topic in this unit.
|Apresentação/discussão de um trabalho científico||4,00|
|Frequência das aulas||28,00|
The assessment is done through the writing of the thesis project, and its oral presentation.
The classification of the course is a weighted mean of the written project (T), 70%, and and its oral discussion (O), 30%.
The final classification will be: CF = T * 0.7 + O * 0.3.