|Responsible unit:||Department of Computer Science|
|Course/CS Responsible:||First Degree in Computer Science|
|Acronym||No. of Students||Study Plan||Curricular Years||Credits UCN||Credits ECTS||Contact hours||Total Time|
|L:B||0||Official Study Plan||3||-||6||56||162|
|L:CC||46||Plano de estudos a partir de 2014||2||-||6||56||162|
|L:M||1||Official Study Plan||2||-||6||56||162|
|L:Q||0||study plan from 2016/17||3||-||6||56||162|
|MI:ERS||73||Plano Oficial desde ano letivo 2014||2||-||6||56||162|
|Luís Miguel Barros Lopes|
Introduce the basic working concepts for the modern computer, namely, the internal representation of programs and data, the hardware components and their interactions and ways to evaluate its performance.
An understanding of the following topics:
- the basic von Neumann architecture concept
- the intimate relationship between code and hardware
- the main components of a CPU and their interaction
- the interaction between CPU and the memory sub-system
- the memory hierarchy model and its relevance to performance
- the basic performance analysis metrics and techniques
Computer History and Evolution.
The von Neumman architecture.
Data and program representation.
Languages, compilers, assembly and binary code.
Basic CPU components.
The data- and control-paths.
Basic performance analysis.
Operating system support.
- theory lectures
- problem solving in labs
|Frequência das aulas||4,00|
Participation in labs, as described in FCUP regulations.
Assuming the student is elegible:
final score = average score in 2 tests during the semester
final score = score in exam