Ao tratar a Saúde Pública e a Nutrição Comunitária numa perspetiva única, global, este ciclo de estudos (CE) é pioneiro e vem preencher uma lacuna no ensino superior nacional.
- increase their knowledge on how to investigate the contribution of nutrition statuses, diet, and other factors in disease development, treatment, and prevention;
- know how to choose and to apply diet assessment methods, appropriate for the different study designs;
- achieve skills and competencies in data analysis and interpretation of nutritional epidemiology research results.
Acquisition of knowledge on concepts and methods of epidemiology. Recognition of characteristics, advantages and limitations of the main types of study and aspects related to its planning. Recognize the main types of epidemiological measures. Understand the main types of error in epidemiology.
1. To acquire the theoretical basis for understanding the complex nature of food habits
2. To acquire competencies to identify the determinants of food habits
- Understand the differences in nutritional requirements at the various periods of the life cycle;
- Recognize the food and nutrition as an integral part of health promotion and disease prevention, and that mortality and morbidity can be significantly reduced through the manipulation of nutrition-dietary factors during the life cycle and in particular physiological situations;
- Formulate healthy dietary patterns considering the influence of multiple factors, including cultural, socioeconomic, psychosocial, knowledge, and lifestyle
Ability to identify adequate sources for the production of knowledge and its adaptation to different audiences, objectives and media (press, radio, television and online).
Ability to define and implement a communication strategy in the area of food and health, including tactics and models of public relations, management and induction of media content, communication / management of food crises and social networks.Ability to identify the specificities of marketing communication in food and food services and how to use this knowledge to promote an ethically and nutritionally adequate consumption.
It is intended that students are able to:
Know the concerted set of actions aimed at improving the nutritional status of populations. What are possible intervention models, and what social, economic, and political conditions should be observed for the success of the intervention.
Design intersectoral strategies that are capable of acting on the knowledge and attitudes of citizens while at the same time modifying environments and the availability of food, while identifying the "political" dimensions that interfere with the action of the health professional.
Know and be able to use the management and leadership tools that enable them to develop and implement food and nutrition policies.
Understand other impacts, other than nutritional, arising from political intervention,and ethical issues regarding these interventions.
The aims of this unit are:
The syllabus of this course offers students the knowledge and mastery of the conditions and circumstances that affect the safety of food products from production to consumption in a sustainable way. To address the scientific, technical and legal aspects as well as methodologies adopted to ensure food safety and sustainability and thereby contribute to the high levels of public health that European citizens legitimately expect from food production systems and the food chain as a whole. Provide them the interpretive keys that allow them to understand and respond to the expectations of society regarding the performance of health professionals in the scope of their professional activity. This is an approach that allows:
Ability to identify and evaluate hygiene and sanitary practices and procedures used in the agro-food sector, from primary production to consumption.
Implement and enforce legislation relevant to the production and marketing of food and the use of food security monitoring, control and management systems.
Elect preventive measures and establish procedures for the provision of safe food and food, meeting the public health sanitary requirements, based on the current legislation.
Promote the guarantee and management of hygiene and safety and food quality.
Exercise students in using the appropriate laws and methods to achieve this purpose.
To deepen the concept "One Health", addressing the various dimensions of this concept and re-evaluating it in depth.