By the dispatch number 13169/2011, published in Diário da República (
Official State journal), second series, number 189 of 30 September 2011, it was approved the creation of the doctoral course in physiotherapy at the University of Porto. This course is accredited by the Board of Directors of the Agência de Avaliação e Acreditação do Ensino Superior
and registered by the Direção Geral do Ensino Superior
(State Agency for Higher Education) under the number R/A-Cr 157/2011.
This doctoral course takes place in the Faculty of Sport from the University of Porto (FADEUP) and arises from the national need of advanced scientific training in physiotherapy. It consists of two semesters of mandatory curricular component (60 ECTS) followed by four semesters of research component and thesis preparation (120 ECTS). It is an excellent opportunity for the development of relevant research lines suitable for a bigger and better production of knowledge in the area of physiotherapy in Portugal.
As a main objective, this course intent to prepare students for the production of knowledge in the field of health, in general, and in the field of physiotherapy, in particular, always guided by an ethical attitude. Consequently, the main component of the course consists of the preparation of a doctoral thesis with original results attesting the candidate's capacity to perform high quality research, with a clear contribution to the extension of the knowledge in the area of physiotherapy. Once this knowledge should be made available to the scientific community through the publication in indexed international scientific journals, it is also an objective of this course to enable students to communicate with their peers and with the academic community.
In addition to deepening the skills obtained during the 1st and/or 2nd study cycles, at the end of this PhD course the students will have acquired:
- The ability to conceive, organize, manage and develop scientific research projects, independently or integrated into a team. So, they should be able to:
(i) accept the existence of multiple research opportunities,
(ii) formulate problems and research goals,
(iii) assess, systematize and decide the most appropriate conduct
(iv) identify and select appropriate information sources,
(v) examine critically new and complex ideas,
(vi) construct valid instruments for data collection and
(vii) prepare scientific documents, such as articles, reports, dissertations and theses;
- The ability to work in multidisciplinary teams;
- The critical judgment and the curiosity inherent to quality research as well as habits of life-long learning.
1- Candidates that can apply for registration and enrolment in this course:
- a) holders of a master degree or a 2nd cycle of studies in the area of physiotherapy or in areas of the health sciences, or holders of legally equivalent qualification;
- b) holders of a graduation degree in the areas mentioned in (a) holders of a relevant curriculum recognized by the Scientific Committee of the course as attesting the capacity to carry out this cycle of studies;
- c) holders of degrees equivalent to those referred above by foreign universities, after curriculum evaluation.
2-Candidates must have a good domain, spoken and written, of the English language.
Academic Year 2020/2021
-National Students and International CPLP (Community of Portuguese Speaking Countries) Students
- Full-Time ¤2.750;
- Full-Time ¤3.500;
- Registration fee ¤100;
- School Insurance ¤2.
3rd Cycle Course in Physiotherapy - Teaching hours 2020/2021
Fridays - Classes from 5 pm to 9 pm.
Saturdays - Classes from 9 am to 1 pm.