The Doctoral Program in Sport Sciences (PD-CD) gives the degree of Doctor in Sport Sciences to the students who successfully carrying out a set of curricular units primarily aimed at deepening the knowledge and training in research, whose set is called the PhD course (not corresponding to a degree), corresponding to 60 ECTS, and to elaborate and defend in public trials constituted for this purpose an original thesis, specially developed for this purpose, appropriate to the area of knowledge, corresponding to 120 ECTS. It should be noted that the FADEUP has a wide experience of training in Sport Sciences with research and development of knowledge in this same area, whether through continuing education courses, BSc, Masters and PhDs, either by the existence of research centers and laboratories where this knowledge is framed.
1.1. Study cycle's generic objectives
The PD-CD has as main objectives:
- complement previous education on Sport Sciences (SS), or related areas, providing high quality advanced education, supported by its own research and international recognition,
- promote the training of human resources in solid SS, capable of conduct independent scientific research and contribute to progress in this area, deepening of technological and applicational expansion of its spectrum,
- developing skills for the dissemination of scientific knowledge to scientific and lay public;
- provide the sports context specialists who can surmount challenges and solutions and to contribute prospectively for the development of new areas and opportunities;
- correspond to the heterogeneity of interests and motivations of a wide range of national and foreign professionals seeking advanced level training on SS.
1.2. Coherence of the study cycle's objectives and the institution's mission and strategy.
The PD-CD fits the general principles of the educational, scientific and cultural mission of FADEUP as well as the objectives and criteria for doctoral studies defined in Portuguese legislation. In fact, according to its statutes, FADEUP mission is the education, training, study, innovation and research in the field of Sport Sciences, as well as similar and related activities, aimed at training, of recreation, retraining and rehabilitation, development and improvement, performance and transcendence of the human condition and its limits, fully consistent and compatible with science and education/ training in which this course of study falls.
In addition, it should be noted that the two units R & D which are assigned the faculty staff of the PD-CD (ie, CIFI2D and CIAFEL) have as its purpose to strengthen the research activity and technological development in the area of Sport Sciences, aiming, among other objectives, the own production of scientific knowledge in this area, as well as the collaboration with other national and international institutions of higher education in postgraduate programs.
Thus, with this cycle of study, FADEUP translates into advanced training of human resources its internationally scientific production, using a high scientific level tutorial teaching .
1.3. Means by which the students and teachers involved in the study cycle are informed of its objectives.
The dissemination means of the PD-CD objectives to students, faculty staff and interested others in academic and professional community, are primarily characterize by the use of the institutional electronic means. Among these, we emphasize the use of the Internet site of FADEUP (http://sigarra.up.pt/fadeup/web_page.inicial) where are disclosed the objectives, syllabus and content of the curricular units of the PD-CD.
In addition, meetings are held with students at the beginning and end of each academic year to inform and discuss all matters relating to the functioning of the PD-CD, drawing is also, throughout the year, the institutional e.mail to clarify questions and provide information that is deemed relevant.
Additionally, students assigned to integrate the monitoring committee of the PD-CD also serve as a vehicle for communication between students, faculty staff and management bodies.
Fields of Specialization
- Sport, Education and Culture
- Sport, Structure and Function
- Sport, Genetics and Motor Behaviour
- Sport, Excellence, Well-Being and Human Development
- Sport, Training, Coaching and Performance
- Sport Sciences, without speciality area
It should be noted that, despite being in the approved curriculum, the following optional curricular units are not in operation: Ethical, Scientific Research and Sport; Creation and Dissemination of Scientific Knowledge, Sport and Cultural Development of the Human Being, Sport Politics, Physical Evaluation and Exercise Prescription in a perspective of "Lifespan"; Motor Performance Modeling, Information Processing and Motor Behavior, Observation and Analysis of Training and Competition in Sports Games, Models of Teaching and Training of
Academic Year 2020/2021
-National Students and International CPLP (Community of Portuguese Speaking Countries) Students
- Full-Time ¤2.750;
- Part-Time ¤1.925
- Full-Time ¤3.500;
- Part-Time ¤2.450
- Registration fee ¤100;
- School Insurance ¤2.