|No. of Students
|Plano do Programa de Doutoramento
|Paulo José Medeiros de Carvalho
As a general purpose, this curricular unit aims to provide students with knowledge about the scientific/clinic evidences to prescribe exercise in movement disorders, giving special attention to:
- the effect of exercise as a tool in rehabilitation and secondary prevention in the contexts of pathology/disease;
- the transfer of knowledge from basic science obtained in laboratory scenery to clinical research;
- the research conducted in laboratory supporting the empirical evidence.
It is expected that students develop the ability of:
- critical analysis of study designs and results as well as the diverse forms and methods of intervention by exercise;
- planning, selection and monitoring of therapeutic exercise, adjusted for each patient;
- collect and evaluate evidence related to therapeutic exercise in the context of movement disorders;
- using the methods of gathering and interpreting data in order to provide adequate information to guide physiotherapy based on evidence.
1. Research models and methods in therapeutic exercise;
2. Theoretical perspectives and therapeutic approaches for the prevention and treatment of movement disorders;
3. Scientific/clinic evidence to prescribe exercise as an intervention for different age groups and in different conditions with dysfunction of movement:
3.1. In neuro-musculo-skeletal diseases
3.2. In cardiopulmonary diseases
3.3. In neurological diseases
3.4. In oncologic diseases
Lectures (totaling 30 hours) that will be mainly expositive but always looking for effective interaction with students, and laboratory sessions (totaling 30 hours). Apart from books, students will be also provided with review and research articles for study and discussion in the context of theoretical and practical classes. To obtain approval in the curricular unit it is required to have at least 75% of presence in the classes. The assessment of knowledge and skills is conducted through the evaluation of presentations and discussions of original research articles, conducted at the end of the curricular unit, being evaluated:
- the knowledge and skills in the context of the contents of the curricular unit,
- the ability to synthesize contents and to present them with clarity and accuracy,
- the ability to understand and critically analyze the main points of the research that he/she is presenting, and
- the ability to identify the key message.
|Frequência das aulas
Grade achieved in the final report in a scale of 0 to 20 (approval grade greater than or equal to 10 points).