The Rector of the University of Porto is Professor José Carlos Marques dos Santos.
The Rector is assisted by Vice-Rectors, which he freely chooses and appoints from among the teachers and researchers from the University holding a doctorate degree, or among individuals external to the University of Porto, and by the Administrator, appointed by him. He may also be assisted by Pro-Rectors, selected and appointed by him from among the teachers and researchers from the University holding a doctorate degree, or individuals external to the University of Porto.
The Rector represents and directs the University of Porto, and his responsibilities are as follows:
- Prepare and submit to the General Board the following proposals:
- Medium term strategic plan and action plan for the four-year mandate;
- General guidelines of the institutions for the scientific and pedagogical areas;
- Consolidated plan and annual budget;
- Consolidated annual report and accounts, issued with the expert report of the Auditor;
- Acquisition and sale of real property of the University of Porto and credit operations;
- Create, modify or terminate Organic Units, upon consultation with the Senate;
- Recognise the critical situation of an Organic Unit that cannot be overcome within the framework of its autonomy, having heard the representative body of the unit;
- Statutes of Organic Units without self-governance bodies;
- Decide on the fees payable by students;
- Creation or participation of the University of Porto in the entities referred to in Article 21 of the Statutes.
- Approve the creation, suspension and abolition of academic courses, upon consultation with the Senate;
- Approve the maximum number of admissions and registrations as stipulated by law;
- Oversee the academic management, and decide on the opening of tenders, the appointment and hiring of human resources, in whatever context, the appointment of selection boards and academic exams, and the evaluation system and regulations of faculty members and students;
- Guide and oversee the administrative and financial management of the University of Porto, ensuring efficiency in the use of its facilities and resources;
- Provide support to students within the school social work, as stipulated by law;
- Approve the issue of titles and honorary distinctions, upon consultation with the Senate;
- Implement academic awards, upon consultation with the Senate;
- Approve the statutes of the Organic Units with self-governance bodies after verification of their legality and compliance with the statutes and regulations of the University of Porto;
- Approve the elections and appointments of members of the management bodies of Organic Units with self-governance bodies, but can only refuse them based on an illegality, and invest them;
- Appoint and dismiss, pursuant to law and statutes, the heads of Organic Units without self-governance bodies;
- Appoint and dismiss, pursuant to law and statutes, the Administrator, as well as the heads of services of the University of Porto, except those belonging to the Organic Units with self-governance bodies;
- Exercise disciplinary powers in accordance with the law, upon consultation with the Senate regarding the application of severe penalties;
- Ensure compliance with the resolutions taken by the collegiate bodies of the University;
- Approve the disciplinary regulations of students and other regulations prescribed by law and the statutes, subject to the regulatory power of the Organic Units within the competence of their own bodies;
- Ensure compliance with laws, statutes and regulations;
- Propose initiatives deemed necessary for the proper functioning of the University;
- Perform any other duties prescribed by law and these statutes;
- Inform the responsible supervisors all data required for its performance, namely plans, budgets and activity reports and accounts;
- Take the necessary steps to ensure the quality of the University’s activities and its Organic Units;
- Represent the University of Porto in court or elsewhere;
- Propose to the General Council the mechanisms of regular self-evaluation of the performance of the University of Porto;
- The Rector is also in charge of all responsibilities which by law or by statute are not assigned to other entities of the University.
The Rector may delegate to the Vice-rectors, Pro-rectors, Administrators and other heads of services some responsibilities deemed necessary for a more efficient management.
The Rector may delegate to the management bodies of the Organic Units, or to its Directors, some responsibilities deemed necessary for a more efficient management.
The Rector may delegate the Chairmanship of selection boards assigned to him, which should be left up to the Director with powers to sub-delegate to a Full Professor with a permanent appointment of the Organic Unit.