The building lying in the street corner between the Aníbal Cunha and Sacadura Cabral streets was built specifically to house the Faculty of Pharmacy of the University of Porto. During the first years of operation, this Faculty occupied a building in Rua do Rosário. However, because of the inadequate facilities, the School Board and soon after the University Senate considered the need to build separate facilities. The land was donated by the Porto City Council and the Faculty only had to resort to loans for the construction itself.
On 1 February 1916, the first stone was laid in the presence of the President of the Republic and construction work began the following month. In 1918, classes were already in full operation in the south wing of the building. The rectangular building facing Rua de Aníbal Cunha (then Rua da Carvalhosa), was designed by engineer Arnaldo Casimiro Barbosa.
In early 1927, the building was not yet complete. At the request of the Faculty Board, architect Aucíndio dos Santos was responsible for implementing the project. During the next two years, works were done to improve the façade facing Rua da Carvalhosa, including a veranda in the main building and window trims.
Over the years and the natural aging of the building, there was room for further restoration work, including a pavilion at the back of the original one, inaugurated in 1966, and another floor was added to solve the lack of space. With two floors, the central body housed the Grand Hall and the staircase.
In 1975, a violent fire destroyed almost the entire building.
The Faculty of Pharmacy awaits now the relocation of its facilities to Rua de D. Manuel II, where it will share along with the Institute of Biomedical Sciences Biomédicas Abel Salazar the space occupied by the Rectory of the U.Porto until the end of 2006.