Sculptor and teacher
Fernando Fernandes was born in Braga on 11 April 1924.
He studied Engraving, an industrial course, at Bartolomeu dos Mártires School, which he completed with the final mark of 14 out of 20.
In October 1942, he enrolled in the Special Painting Course at the Porto School of Fine Arts which, in 1945, he abandoned to take a Special Sculpture Course, which he completed three years later.
In 1949, he produced a pioneering abstract work entitled "Dupla intenção" [Double intention].
Three years later, in 1952, he participated in the Modern Art Exhibition at the SNI with the work "Piet".
His end of the course project to attain the diploma was entitled "A Lógica e o Silogismo" [Logics and Syllogism](1953), which is considered to be the first abstract sculpture shown in a school exam, for which he received nineteen out of twenty marks.
After completing the course, he attended the Paris School of Fine Arts and the Slade School of Art, in London (1959-1960), where the British sculptor Reg Butler was a teacher (1913-1981).
Fernando Fernandes also received a scholarship from the Institute for Advanced Culture and from the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation, and represented Portugal in the 2nd and 5th Modern Art Biennials of São Paulo, in 1953 and 1959, respectively.
On his return to Portugal, he dedicated his time to the production of abstract and expressionist compositions, which show allegories and literary influences. Here, he showed his art and taught too.
He participated in the 3rd National Art Salon (1968) and in the exhibition entitled "Arte Portuguesa dos Anos 50" [Portuguese Art from the 1950s] (1993), both at the National Society of Fine Arts, in Lisbon. He taught Drawing at Camões High School until 1974, and sculpted a bust of the poet, Camões, for the entrance hall of this School, in 1972.